Die Filer - have one or insights?

Only a fresh or sharp single cut file shears brass effectively, partly that brass reduces friction. Most any pinned up rusty file cuts steel. Aluminum also likes sharp files, try one called a vixen, or multi-cut, and die on steel. Teeth are practically little end mills. Very much like band saw blades; hooks cut aluminum 1200 FPM, and break off in steel. I make water jacketed spot-welding electrodes occasionally from hard copper, cutting or filing it is worse!

For those that might be interested in a die filer, but find many on the market too expensive, you might want to check out the Delta 40-440 scroll saw. They were built from the early 1940's to at least the 1970's. They are considered to be a poor man's die filer. They were built to use 1/8" diameter machine files. They could be purchased with either a variable speed drive, or a step pulley speed change. One nice thing is that they have a over arm, so the file is captured at both ends. The fact that it's also a scroll saw makes it that much more versatile.

I've had one for several years and do use it occasionally as a die filer. It isn't a high use item but for the price I paid for it, it's more than earned it's keep. There are currently a few on eBay going for between $200.00 and $400.00. I purchased one like this in excellent condition from a used tool vendor around $100.00.

As for files they are getting a bit harder to find, and are a little more expensive than they were in past years. I used to be able to buy a box of 12 files for around $1.00 each. there are still some styles available in the $3.00 to $5.00 range, but most are around the $10.00 mark. If you Google "machine files" you'll find there are still a number of vendors that still have them.

Maybe not to the same standard, but this reminded me of a dirty little application I saw once from somebody who didn't have a scroll saw. They drilled a hole in a table and screwed the table of a jig saw to the bottom of the table so a blade stuck up thru the hole.
I was about to suggest this. Weld or braze a small file to a matching jig saw holding end, support the top of it, and it seems like it could work fine.

I was about to suggest this. Weld or braze a small file to a matching jig saw holding end, support the top of it, and it seems like it could work fine.
I have a saber saw I made a mount to hold it and a table. It works good even on low speed but is not as controlled and smooth as a regular jig saw. Even though the mount is plenty stout and mounted to a heavy table. It has a semi circular action to it that maybe not all saber saw's have, but I feel would be totally unsuitable for a die filer. Jig saws don't have that kind of action. Just my 2c

I’m hoping it’s ok to post here but my mate has started a fb page to discuss die filers, share pics, their uses, jigs and file sources. I have located a supplier of diamond files for die filers and we’ll be posting about that shortly. Would be great to see some of you guy over there too.

It’s called Die Filers/Filing and sawing machines.

It won’t let me post a link, sorry.
Matt

I think "This Old Tony" said in a video about his die filer, "makes everything except money." Not sure how he intended that remark...

I picked up an old box of machine files 9 in it . Several are new looking and a few shapes to boot. I had plans on building one or using an old allsaw I never use. It reciprocates about an inch an a half . Which is perfect for filing . Wouldn't take long to make a table and frame or find and old jig saw table or bandsaw table. But the way things are turning out I may never get back in my shop. IMG_20190823_175903.jpgIMG_20190823_175711.jpgIMG_20190823_175746.jpg

Back