Die Filer project

rdean

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
This is what started this project.
first.JPG

I bought these at a flee market a few months back for $5 and thought they may come in handy some day. The other day I was looking for something else and ran across them again so I decided it was time to make a powered filer for them.

I wanted to try to use materials I had on hand so this is what I started with.
IMG_1021.JPG

Some of that turned into this.
IMG_1022.JPG

And that mounted to the and cap on to the main housing.
IMG_1026.JPG

I also caped up the other end.
IMG_1027.JPG

Her I am milling an opening for the piston support.
IMG_1029.JPG

The main body and the piston support.
IMG_1030.JPG

This shows the shaft housing, the piston, and the connecting rod.
IMG_1034.JPG

IMG_1035.JPG

Time for a pulley cut from this 4" round piece. This took almost an hour to cut through.
IMG_1038.JPG

Made some supports and installed the pulley.
IMG_1043.JPG

Time to start thinking about a motor and looking around to see what I had. I didn't have one that I really wanted to use as they were either too small, too fast, or too big. Then I remembered this that I got from a garage sale I went to 6 months back and gave $10 for.
I cleaned it up and painted it.
IMG_1045.JPG

Now that is really too large for a die filer not in HP 1/4 but in physical size. That is when I hit me to mount the filer above the motor and not beside it.
I made supports off the motor frame to attach the filer and the top table. (repurposed aluminum serving tray)
IMG_1047.JPG

I made a pulley guard and added four rubber feet.
IMG_1053.JPG
IMG_1055.JPG
IMG_1056.JPG

Total project took a couple of weeks and the only thing extra I had to buy were the rubber feet.

Thanks for looking

Ray

Nice. I find lots more uses for my die filer than I anticipated, since the blade mounting scheme accommodates round, rectangular, square, thin flat, hex, you name it. It can hold a short length of hacksaw blade, for an example, works a bit like a mini band saw, or a saw that does interior cuts easily.

very nice. Is this your own design or one that can be purchased?
I've looked at two casting sets for a die grinder but need one before I can save enough to buy castings

I had an idea of what I wanted to end up with so I built it around what materials I had.
You can do the same just make one part at a time.
Thanks
Ray

That is really nice! It looks factory. I see you went with a con rod type setup (rather than a yoke like mine has.)
How does the piston track inside the piston support? What prevents rotation?
Great work!

Last edited:
Oh man I want a die filer. Would be very handy for my model airplane building.

How does the piston track inside the piston support? What prevents rotation?
I made the piston fit a little loose in the bore because it is aluminum on aluminum and I was afraid of the parts galling. The piston can't turn as it is held in place by the piston pin.
I do have a small amount of oil in the housing sump and I was hoping that a film of oil would migrate up the piston for lubrication. That is what is happening so only time will tell how effective that will be. If it becomes a problem I can replace the piston with a brass or cast iron one later.

Thanks
Ray

Looks great. Every time I see one of your projects it reminds me of how much I need to learn

Racer you are too kind
thank you

I learn something new every day

Ray

Back