die head for the lathe

Mark_f

Registered
Registered
There have been countless designs for this project and I found myself needing a die head to make straight threads quickly on my lathe. This was my version.
I made an arbor with an MT2 taper on one end to fit my tail stock and a 1/2" shaft on the other end. The shaft slides into the rear of the die head wich is made from a 2" diameter piece of steel bored to hold a 1 1/2" die in one end and bored to 1/2" for a sliding fit on the other end. Some knurling for good looks and polishing for the shiny look. 4 holes, 1/2" x 3/4" deep, 90 degrees apart for a tommy bar. I also made an insert to use my 1" diameter dies. As you thread the head slides forward on the shaft keeping your alignment. This has been a very use full tool for starting straight threads when using a die. I make prints for most of the projects I make if anyone wants them.

hand threading head 2.jpghand threading head for lathe.jpg

thanks

Mark

hand threading head 2.jpg hand threading head for lathe.jpg

]Here is the print for the die head. I will also post the print for the clamps tomorrow

Mark
die head for lathe.jpg

There have been countless designs for this project and I found myself needing a die head to make straight threads quickly on my lathe. This was my version.
I made an arbor with an MT2 taper on one end to fit my tail stock and a 1/2" shaft on the other end. The shaft slides into the rear of the die head wich is made from a 2" diameter piece of steel bored to hold a 1 1/2" die in one end and bored to 1/2" for a sliding fit on the other end. Some knurling for good looks and polishing for the shiny look. 4 holes, 1/2" x 3/4" deep, 90 degrees apart for a tommy bar. I also made an insert to use my 1" diameter dies. As you thread the head slides forward on the shaft keeping your alignment. This has been a very use full tool for starting straight threads when using a die. I make prints for most of the projects I make if anyone wants them.

View attachment 84378View attachment 84379

thanks

Mark

die head for lathe.jpg

Great job, looks very professional. I keep meaning to do one of these one day..

really nice, and thanks for the print. Brian

Back