Diesel pump timing tool

I want to thank you all for your input. There are so many things that could cause this problem so
appreciate the helpful commentary.:encourage: I'm not looking forward to taking apart the injector pump
but it may be the next step. I did order a set of injectors so will see where that leads.

The injectors showed up so did a crank test with one loose so I could see if and or how it sprayed..............no spray, so
the problem is in the pump, I'm thinking the governor may not be giving full injection on startup at this point.

Or there's a restriction somewhere upstream of the pump? Does it use a solenoid fuel cutoff? Even something as stupid as a previous owner using non diesel rated fuel lines which deteriorated before they gave up completely and got replaced again can gum up the works. There's also the weird bacteria that can live in diesel that can block stuff up quite effectively.
Keep us posted!

Or there's a restriction somewhere upstream of the pump? Does it use a solenoid fuel cutoff? Even something as stupid as a previous owner using non diesel rated fuel lines which deteriorated before they gave up completely and got replaced again can gum up the works. There's also the weird bacteria that can live in diesel that can block stuff up quite effectively.
Keep us posted!
There are no restrictions that I was able to find. There is a solenoid and that must work since the engine runs fine once it it is started.
It probably is a stuck governor so will be looking at that next.

Solenoids can get weak or sticky. Assuming you've got an alternator, the system voltage will be higher running than static, and much higher than cranking. It might make the difference between it opening or not. Seen it before - not uncommon on land rover engines with the VE pump - so something to watch out for.

Solenoids can get weak or sticky. Assuming you've got an alternator, the system voltage will be higher running than static, and much higher than cranking. It might make the difference between it opening or not. Seen it before - not uncommon on land rover engines with the VE pump - so something to watch out for.
I like your thinking! I will have to do my due diligence and check out that solenoid! Thanks for your input.

That's what we're all here for :)
Be a nice easy fix if it's just a solenoid. Fingers crossed!

After several years of putting up with the Zexel rotary pump(no fuel on cranking) on my Bobcat, I ordered a brand new
pump on E-Bay. The new pump would not run at all but would make smoke so I knew it was a timing problem.
To determine where to mesh the gears, I hooked up the pump to the fuel and turned on the switch to open the
solenoid. Turning the pump by hand told me the pump direction was correct and also where to install it since
it would dispense a drip of oil on the #1 cylinder as it was turned counter clockwise. After that it ran to a fashion.
Then using my home made timing tool, I set the timing properly and it now starts and runs perfectly.

I absolutely refused to take my original pump back to the place that supposedly overhauled the pump for $500
and I got only about 200 hours use from it. Not only that, the pump shop is a hundred miles from here.
So now in my spare time I can take a look at the old pump and see why it won't start. I think the problem is that
the governor is sticky and not giving any fuel on startup. The brand new pump was only $480!

After all the work I have done on diesel pumps lately, I feel confident that I can take it apart to get to the bottom of it all.

The old Bobcat now purrs like a kitten, starts with no argument. :)

Back