Differences in Tormach Series?

rmantoo

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
I've just started looking at/for used Tormachs and have run across several 1100 Series 3.

The 1100 Series 3s are almost always $3-5k less than 'current' generation used machines. Can someone explain the limitations or disadvantages of the Series 3 to me?

Thanks,
Robert

I have a 440,
DO NOT GET THE TOOLCHANGER
It is simply not consistent

Tormach is for a garage shop

The 1100MX standard package includes the stand, enclosure, the ATC, and power drawbar, all not included with the standard Series 3 package, It also has servo motors rather than steppers, a BT30 spindle rather than R8, and a 2 hp spindle motor with 10,000 rpm max vs. 1.5 hp @ 6,500 rpm for the Series 3.

Another difference is Y-axis travel. You can get this off the Tormach web site, but the 1100 S3 is around 9.5" in Y, think the MX is 11". Also, the MX (maybe the M also) has an encoder in the spindle so you can do rigid tapping. The controller knows where the spindle is for angle and height, so you can program in a 360 deg. rotation with 1/20" advance in the Z for tapping a 1/4" - 20 hole (for example) with a tap rigidly mounted in a collet or end mill holder. The 1100S3 does not know spindle angle, most guys use what is called a tension/compression tapping head. It's basically a spring-loaded head to take up the error in spindle speed vs. Z-axis travel. The servo drives make for quicker rapids too, at least double if not triple the speed.

Bruce

Back