Difficult access carbide

Hello all.

I need to turn into a location about 14mm long with a shoulder each end that prevents me using triangular or diamond shaped inserts.

The material is Rockwell hardness of around 60 so normal tool steel won't do the job otherwise I could grind up something suitable.

Specifically it is a running surface for needle rollers and the shoulder at each end is to contain the rollers.

What can I use please?

What about a carbide parting insert?

Thanks
Doug

Cheapest on ebay is $1351 from India. But I think the problem would be getting a grinding disk that is only 13.8mm wide?

That's should be no problem, I know they are made 6mm wide. Should be able to find them from 6mm to about 25mm wide.

If I went with the grinding option, what grade of disk would I need in order to get an acceptable finish for needle rollers?

I think a 60 grit silicon oxide wheel would give an acceptable finish. A medium hard wheel should work well. Or as Bob suggested CBN.

If that piece is only 50mm long, then it must be about 25mm at the largest diameter and the mating part is maybe 50mm OD? It might be worth making new parts.

Bob, thanks, I have found some CBN diamond shape inserts which will just barely get into the location. So need to buy them and a suitable holder.

Will I need lubricant?

Jim, also thanks, I am wondering about using a thin oil stone either free hand or clamped in the tool holder to give a final polish after using the CBN inserts?

I have little experience with CBN tools, but I would use them dry on hard stuff, which is what they are made for.

Back