Digital Angle Gauge Vs Space Blocks

Joe Pitz

Registered
Registered
Hello all

Question on milling angles, I have never used space blocks before.

Most digital angle gauges are accurate to .100 of a degree, that would translate to .0017"

The smallest division change on the space blocks is .001.

So it looks like with the space blocks or the digital angle gauge I could easily maintain accuracy of 1/10 of a degree.

Wanted to get some feedback from the more experienced machinists what their feeling is on using one or the other?

Thanks

Joe

I needed an angle of .7º (point seven degrees) for a project. I figured the width of my vise, (3.8") the sine of .7º (.012217) times 3.8 = .04642, placed two .020 shims and a .006 shim under the very end of a parallel and placed my work on top of the parallel. Easy Peasy as they say somewhere else in the universe. (not where I live).

Thanks Tom, I figured it would be that easy, I can use my el cheapo Texas Instruments calculator to figure everything out. I do not have space blocks or a digital angle gauge yet. So before I go off and buy either, I wanted to get a consensus.

Joe

Are 'space blocks' the same as Jo Blocks? I have a set, use them with larger angles with my sine bar. I'd trust them, not a 'patented' gizmo.

Ah come on Tom, I have been working on high tech gizmo's for 30 years Flustered

Joe

As a very broad generalization, space blocks aren't typically as accurate as "Jo" blocks. Still plenty accurate for 99.99% of home shop work, and available if chased, to a higher accuracy.

Now I know what "Space Blocks" are. Hooda thunk.

With the Digital Angle Gauge all you can do is measure the result of a set up, isn't it? Can use use that to set a fixture? What I'd imagine is that you put the 'gizmo' on a block, put it in a vise and when the angle reads right you clamp the vise. Then mount your work on the block with a clamp of some sort. Or, conversely, use the gizmo to set each piece. If you only need to set one, sure, that would work.

Good point Tom, If you use a long parallel or sine block I guess you could lightly clamp either in the vice and then tap or pull either end
to get the correct angle, but it might be easier to set the sine block or parallel on the space blocks in the vice in the first place.

Thanks

Joe

My sine bar is 6" long, my vise is 3.8" wide. They won't work together. Do what ever works for you, that's why its a hobby.

Back