Digital caliper question

Pcmaker

Registered
Registered
I have 2 of these calipers that I bought from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017KUC6XQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These are my first and only calipers that I've owned and I bought them because of the Amazon reviews being high. I think they're pretty good, but I have nothing to compare them to.

With my limited experience, my only gripe is that even with the caliper turned off, it still drains the battery. That is the major complaint in the Amazon reviews. Battery lasts about 6 months on average.

Do higher end calipers like Mitutoyo have this problem? How about iGaging? Other brands? I want something with an auto off, and it not draining the battery while it's off.

My Mitutoyo calipers go about 2 years between battery changes. They are pretty much never turned off. I have found that the cheaper calipers have much shorter battery life, sometimes on the order of a few weeks. My Starrett calipers eat batteries also.

I have a mitytoyo digital "dial" indicator the battery life is pritty epic.

Stu

LoL! That's why Amazon Basics sells button cell batteries so cheap! Don't you just love it when you grab your China digi calipers knowing it's a 50/50 whether you'll have to put in a new battery before proceeding with your work? I still use them, but I go through SR44 batteries like toilet paper.

I have a set of Mitutoyo 0-6" MyCals but have never opened them up . I don't own any other battery operated measuring tools , seems like just another set of problems to throw into the mix and I just don't trust them for accuracy . JMI .

The package says the battery has a life of 3.5 years under normal operations . ( whatever normal operation means ) ??

Last edited:
I've had one of those Mitutoyo AOS ones for two and a half years nows. Never changed the battery. I'm pretty good about turning it off, but there have been a couple of times where I've opened the case to find it still on from before I went on vacation.

Somewhat related, I bought a couple of cheap General "carbon fiber" (dunno, looks like plastic to me) digital calipers at the local hardware store. Great for keeping around to do quick sanity checks, plus they display fractional units. At twenty bucks I don't mind leaving them out on the bench, carrying them around in a pocket, etc. Probably what I would be doing with those Vincas if they sold them locally.

I use (now) a dial caliper. Before that, a vernier, but now I don't see that well. I no longer can read a car tag at a quarter mile. I don't like battery operated anything. What happens when on a late Saturday night, the battery craps out? My calipers have been checked with micrometer standards up to three (3) inches. They are good that far, I don't care beyond that. As in, less than .0005 error. Pretty darn good for calipers. The only advantage to battery operated calipers is changing from American to Metric without changing calipers. No biggie, I have a couple of both.

I had put CNC on my hobby machine years ago. And took it off after about a year. True CNC, not this digital stuff you see today. Why? Because I am a hobbyiest, not a production shop. And the CNC had battery "backup" to remember everything. Which it didn't. I had to set up every time I started a project. Hell, it was faster to just cut it by hand.

I am(was) an Electrical Engineer, I designed and built electrical gizmos and contraptions to do whatever. For my own purposes, I now prefer to do everything manual and pay attention to what I am doing. That includes measuring... ...

My first and best caliper is a 6'' Mitutoyo with a dial from the 1970s era. It is still going strong.
Second, a cheaper 4'' Fowler dial caliper but it is not as accurate and repeatable as the Mitu.
Ventured into digital calibers first with a cheapo no name that eats batteries (357 size). I do not trust its accuracy. It collects dust now.
Then tried a 6'' iGaging Origin that uses a CR2032 battery. Two years and counting on the first battery. It might have an auto off but I always turn it off manually before putting it away.
The iGaging is fun and accurate. It is my go-to caliper now.

Back