Digital caliper question

Ditto. Supplemented the digital with a dial a year or so ago out of the same concern Bill Hudson expressed. I've been treating the dial as a 'master', i.e. only used on and around the surface plate, but I may have to rethink that based on your note. Time to get out the gage blocks.

Since it appears that both of mine are accurate to within a thou', I figure that's good enough for a caliper. If I really need tenths,
I pull out a micrometer.

Last edited:
The main operational advantage of my Mitutoyo digital caliper is that it knows where zero is, even when turned off. Cheap calipers need rezeroing every time its turned on.

The other thing I like about the digital is that it converts inch to metric at the touch of a button. Very handy when I'm working with metric
parts.

I have 2 of these calipers that I bought from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017KUC6XQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These are my first and only calipers that I've owned and I bought them because of the Amazon reviews being high. I think they're pretty good, but I have nothing to compare them to.

With my limited experience, my only gripe is that even with the caliper turned off, it still drains the battery. That is the major complaint in the Amazon reviews. Battery lasts about 6 months on average.

Do higher end calipers like Mitutoyo have this problem? How about iGaging? Other brands? I want something with an auto off, and it not draining the battery while it's off.

Buy the calipers that use a 2032 3 volt battery ! Faster readout and longer battery life.
The ones that use 1.5 volt SR44 or LR44 eat batteries, particularly LR44/AG13.

I would not have digital measuring devices as my only measuring tools. If the batteries die, then you are down. Digital devices are convenient and easy to read, but you can't depend on them like the old school tools. I only have a couple of dial calipers, but my favorites are vernier devices, even if I do have to use a magnifier to read them.

An interesting side story. Yesterday I received an Amazon package addressed to my son, a new Mitutoyo 6'' digital caliper. I asked him why he ordered that. Answer: '' Because I couldn't get the other calipers to work'' (also Mitutoyo). He said he replaced the battery and they still didn't work. OK, so I took a look, opened them up, did a little cleaning, and couldn't find a definitive problem, (maybe the battery contact wasn't quite right), stuffed them back together and put in a new battery out of the package. Now I have a digital caliper to use at my desk. :grin: They work fine. So now we have 3 of them. The moral of this story is: When replacing batteries, use known good ones. :)

I only have a couple of dial calipers, but my favorites are vernier devices, even if I do have to use a magnifier to read them.

Yep ! B&S beam 24" . Last forever and as accurate as my eyes . :grin:

I agree I like my dial caliper. Dont have to worry about the battery.

So I have 2 vernier calipers I use a lot [Mit 8" and a B&S 24"(!)] bit mostly I reach for my two igaging digital calipers.

why??? well they are more convenient, and cost very low $. If I wear them out, that's okay.

Here's my battery tip: I use them with the battery in during a project - then between projects (often weeks) I take the battery out and put it in the case beside it. I get about 2 years out of cheap batteries that way.

-- that being said, one day I'd love to have a new Absolute Mitutoyo under the Christmas tree!

Back