Digital Readout

Kennlindeman

Steam crazy
Registered
With a persons eyesight that gets worst the older you get it time to put a DRO on my milling machine I have been looking at the delos-tek brand of readout and linear scales. Has anybody had any exposer to this make

Thanks
Ken
From a cold and wet Cape town

Nope.

DRO is nice anyways. I made my own head unit & use my android as the display. The app does all the calculations & has all the nifty functions in it. The head unit can be used with a selection of scales. I didn't have much money to put in one so I use iGuaging scales & I'm very happy with it.

I recently put a 4-axis DRO on my Jet JVM-830 mill and absolutely love it! Paid $485 delivered from TPAC tools. You will not regret the upgrade. Only down side might be a sore back side from kicking yourself for not buying it years ago. I attached a photo of the final product, can send you more detailed ones of each axis if you'd like them.

mill.jpg

Appears to be another Sino DRO, have not heard of it. My concern would be parts/service should you have a problem, but then the scales are pretty much universal for most DROs. You might look at a graphic type display, I find it a bit easier on the eyes (mine are also going), on the Easson ES-12 you can change to many screen types and also has a color display. Both of these also give nice graphical displays for drilling/milling complex shapes and provide feed rate information simultaneously. I like both, the ES-12 is about 1/2 the price of the 411 these days. DRO Pros have a number of displays and provide very good kits/support. I use an Igaging Absolute for my lathe tailstock, but it is very slow to respond and is lacking relative to the better DRO displays.
DRO Displays.jpg

I got one for my mill shortly after buying it and love it. I had a igaging type for the quill but ended up adding the 3rd axis later so all readouts would be on one screen. I would love to have one for my lathe sometime soon. That one will be lathe specific so there aren't a bunch of buttons that you don't need. I love the buttons on the screen shown on the right above. Much better than the flat screen on the left one.

Finally closed my eyes and purchased the Delos DRO 3 axis readout with the 3 glass linear scales. They are fitted and working. The Z azis was a night mare as the milling machine column is taper and round on the corners. The standard covers are very basic and only one will fit as is. The z axis needs a extention and the x axis will just need a piece flat plate to cover the scale. I will add more pics when i have fitted the covers. The manual is not very good and I will have to play with it to learn to use all the functions. But generally I am very happy with the whole setup which has taken me about 7 hours so far.DRO.jpg

After having read the manual it is clear that there is a need for more information to get the best out of the DRO. Having spend the last 2 days surfing the net, I am surprised how little info there is. Its not like dro's are new, they have been around for the last 30+ years

Google "sino dro" you will find a wealth of information, they are all pretty much the same for this model, just rebranded.

I have a question about four decimal places. I have used a few mills that had four place readouts. With the wear in the feed screw and nut how do you hold the 10th? I ended up putting a piece of tape over the 10th display since it kept jumping from .000 to .0005 when I clamped the table.

Back