Disappointed in abilities with 12" Logan

Investigator

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I'm very frustrated, somewhat with my machine but mostly with me. The short version is I need a steady rest but cant find one.

My 2537 12" turret lathe has been making chips for a while now. I'm not by any stretch of the imagination a machinist, but I have been able to make what I have needed so for. All of my projects have been small. I've made bushings and and a few odd parts here and there. This is just me in my shop at home for fun.
But I have a big project to work on for myself. I have been planning on making a few suppressors for my rifles. I've got all the legalities covered and all is on the up and up.

The issue is I have some 4140 round bar about 14" long to make the baffles out of. Baffles will be 60* cones to fit inside a 1.5"ID tube. The best, as I understand it, way to make them is chuck the bar up, and use a steady rest to support it while I work a baffle at a time on the far end. So that means I need a steady which didn't come with the lathe.

Necessity is a mother, so I make a steady.........The first version was a hexagon shape about 10" diameter. I'm sure you can already see the problem. I made it from .5x.750" bar stock, welded, threaded 120* apart. It looked good, but when I put it on and turned the machine by hand, there was so much flex in the fingers I was afraid to even turn the machine on. So back to the drawing board.

The second steady was made from wood. I used 3 layers of 3/4" birch glued and screwed together. I had a 4" hole in the center and again fingers at 120* apart. The fingers were 1/2-13 bolts which I turned and tipped with brass. Unfortunatly there is too much movement in the wood itself I guess. As I start to take light cuts on the surface, it works loose and starts flexing. I have been watching Ebay and can't find a Logan Steady rest and dont know if anything else will fit.

I'm really disappointed in my self and in the project so far. So much so I had to just leave the shop. As bad as it sounds I am considering selling the Logan and getting a new import lathe that comes with a steady and tail stock, which I also don't have and would like to have. Right now my project is stopped and I can't do anything about it.

I just wanted to try to share the weight on my shoulders, confession being good for the soul and all, and share my tale of woe.

Take a look at some factory steady rests and some home brew ones too, get some inspiration before the perspiration. I would put roller bearings on the tips if I was making one. Not a project I could whip out in a day- more like a couple weeks or more. Don't give up.
Mark

For some unknown reason there is a tax on 12" steady rests.

Not a project I could whip out in a day- more like a couple weeks or more. Don't give up.
Mark

Thats part of the issue. I've already spent over 3 weeks working on building steady rests, and I am no closer to having a working one that I was when I started.

Search "Steady Rest" on this Forum. You will find a few that were built by our members.

"Billy G"

Probably it takes more strength and rigidity than you realized, that's why they often are made of cast iron. Also why you often find broken ones for sale LOL It's not an easy device to build though, a lot of details to work out
M

Probably it takes more strength and rigidity than you realized, that's why they often are made of cast iron. Also why you often find broken ones for sale LOL It's not an easy device to build though, a lot of details to work out
M

I agree. the bar is 2" round, 14" long trying to turn at about 200 RPM. I have no idea how to figure the force involved, but it has to be huge. I think what I built would work for cutting the 1.625" tubing, as it is only .058" wall thickness. But the solid bar is too much mass.

I'd keep the Logan unless she is very tired over any new shiny machine. But, that's my old iron preference.
Making one is a definite option. Just gotta find the best combination.
Did you see this post. Possibly more than you want to pay. However, there is more there than just the steady!!
Don't know the seller. Have not seen the parts...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LOGAN-12-i...654365?hash=item4b3751ca9d:g:2GsAAOSw38BaaObL

Daryl
MN

I just got called a local friend who is not a HM member.
He has a barn full of misc. He is pretty sure that he has something in that size range.
PM me if you want his contact information. If not an actual bolt on, you might be able to make one of his work using one of his steadys.
I'm sure the price would be very right.

Daryl
MN

Back