Disappointed in abilities with 12" Logan

Just to follow up my link, I understand your frustrations. I had similar troubles, and my solution was to buy an import. I’m very happy with it. But I’ll always be watching for another old lathe like what you have. And the fact that it’s still supported is pretty incredible.

A long time ago I made a spider for my lathe for this type of thing. It takes a very large bearing and some cold rolled steel

steady003-vi.jpg

steady002-vi.jpg

The cage around the bearing has set screws in the middle of the bearing pockets to give some adjustment to place the bearing on the center of the spindle axis. I've only had to reset the center once after I took the frame apart to turn the bearing around 180 degrees. The four screws on the aluminum collar take care of centering your project metal.

Here you can see it in use holding material for my form1 can:

20170831_114902-vi.jpg

It also works very well for holding long barrels steady at the end for chambering. No friction, excess material strength needed.

Last edited:
There have been several built on YouTube , some by hobbiest and others professional . But the heavier the steady the better. Ill add some names to look at. Nic C Colyer is in the end stages of a pretty good build on one. If I remember Oxtool did one awhile ago.
Don't they usually use aluminum for the baffles and the tube for silencers??

Last edited:
I'd keep the Logan unless she is very tired over any new shiny machine. But, that's my old iron preference.
Making one is a definite option. Just gotta find the best combination.
Did you see this post. Possibly more than you want to pay. However, there is more there than just the steady!!
Don't know the seller. Have not seen the parts...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LOGAN-12-i...654365?hash=item4b3751ca9d:g:2GsAAOSw38BaaObL

Daryl
MN

Thanks, I did see that. I already have the 5c collet parts for the lathe. Overall I got a tremendous deal on the Logan and what came with it. She's in pretty fair to good shape, got some backlash in the dials but that is easy enough to work around. with the lack of a steady or a tail stock, other than the turret, I have been unable to make a test bar to see just what she is capable off. But so far the tolerance I can hold is worse than what the lathe will do.

Personal question if you don't mind, it looks from your avatar you are a firefighter. Full time? part time? where at? I've been 25 years with Mesquite FD outside Dallas Texas, now an Arson Investigator there.

18years paid on call FF Dayton MN. ~300calls/year.
Was training officer for 16 of those.
Long time Paramedic for a metro EMS agency and retired Paramedic Instructor (17years teaching).
Still work EMS 2times week for small rural service.
Looking forward to not renewing anything!
I've seen enough... I'm guessing you understand.

Daryl
MN

Another alternative would be to acquire a tailstock. And yet another would be to buy a live center and replace the probably either 2MT or 3MT arbor with a straight one that fits the turret. As the turret does not have a ram, be sure that the arbor is long enough not to restrict the carriage from getting close enough to the end of the work piece

Back