Disappointed

I don't see where the OP explicitly state that the trailer was purchased new. If it's used, and you feel there's no need for looking it over, okay.
He did mention in a later post (before mine) that he contacted the manufacturer, implying it was bought new. If used, then yes I agree you need to look it over very carefully.

Yes, trailer was purchased new. I just now heard back from the maufaturer. They offered to repair the wiring under warranty or send me replacement wire and connectors. They asked for photos which I provided and then said they would forward the complaint and photos to manufacturing. I declined their offer stating I had already performed repiars substituting proper components and I would be more than happy to send them my receipts for reimbursment. I also told them that after the repairs I had to dial down the braking power on my controller by 30% which suggests there was power loss through the factory installed wiring. We are currently in Oregon dropping off another full load of equipment and shop items. This time no issues with the brakes and they work considerably better than before.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Coming in late, but what you describe, undersized poorly routed wiring with scotch lock and cheap butt splices that looked like they were crimped by having granny gum them has been standard industry practice for both trailer and truck body wiring since the 1970s. Every trailer I got, from 4x8 utilities to 43 foot goose neck race trailers required a complete rewrite before I would pull them.

Have to admit, when I first saw the scotch lock connectors in the 70's, I thought they were great. After a few years in Pennsylvania's salt crusted roads, I changed my mind.

On my 1999 30' camper the wires were routed through the axle tube.
Third trip out coming off the interstate on a downhill ramp I had nothing... It got real hairy real fast.
Wasn't even (3) years old. Break was somewhere in the tube.
In a parking lot with it raining (of course), I took a cheesy 16ga extension cord and spliced it in with butt connectors.
I never have gotten over the things I had to fix on that RV - that should have been done properly at the time of manufacture.
Then there was the axle bearing fire in the middle of Atlanta on I75, cause they did not put enough grease in them...

When we first arrived in Oz I purchased a General Motors three speed column shift straight six station wagon.
Awesome torque.
Every Aussie we met told us they wouldnt drive one as the front seats ripped out in even light shunts.
I found out after it was re sold that GM knew of the fault but decided to settle any cases out of court as that was cheaper than a recall.
Never purchased a GM motor since.

Back