Disappointed

price points are the culprit.

I totally agree with this statement and accept that there would be some compromise in quality vs price. It's that fact that they cut corners on safety related items. With our litigious society you would hope this would be more of a priority. I want to say "as a conscientious human it would be a priority" but that ship sailed long ago.

Regardless, it's always a new owner's responsibility to look over any new purchase really close to find any lurking problems.

Regardless, it's always a new owner's responsibility to look over any new purchase really close to find any lurking problems.
Seriously? You do this with cars, trucks, machines, toaster, tv's, cell phones? How would the average person even know what to look for? At a minimum I expect the products I buy to be safe wihtout needing a degree in automotive engineering and electrical design to see if it meets minimum standards.

There is zero excuse for the short cuts listed in the original post, the manufacturer is responsible and accountable. Making excuses for them such as 'the new owner should check things' is exactly why quality sucks. Expecting to file lawsuits and have that somehow solve anything is not going to do anything except part you with more money. Were this trailer made in China ppl here would be all over this with Chinesium comments. Crap is crap.

Seriously? You do this with cars, trucks, machines, toaster, tv's, cell phones? How would the average person even know what to look for? At a minimum I expect the products I buy to be safe wihtout needing a degree in automotive engineering and electrical design to see if it meets minimum standards.

There is zero excuse for the short cuts listed in the original post, the manufacturer is responsible and accountable. Making excuses for them such as 'the new owner should check things' is exactly why quality sucks. Expecting to file lawsuits and have that somehow solve anything is not going to do anything except part you with more money. Were this trailer made in China ppl here would be all over this with Chinesium comments. Crap is crap.
Agreed. Here is the US, an implied warranty is that the item is fit for the use it was sold for. Since most of these trailers are sold to individuals, that may only use them a handfull of times, So the issues do not come up in a reasonable time. If they do, the selling dealer would likely replace the wiring, and write off the expense. If an accident does arise, it would likely be a long drawn out legal battle between the manufacturer, the selling dealer, and the consumer, With lots of accusations flung back and forth.

Before I started looking at trailers, I knew a parts place in Pa, that sold trailers that were made by a company connected with them. Every few years the name would change, but one could easily tell they were the same trailer. Was not until I started looking at trailers to help with the move to Co, that I saw how badly they were built.

The other big thing I see a lot, is trailers without the required lights, but DOT does not seem to get involved with them, so no one cares.

When I was splicing, I went "overboard" with my trailer rigging to hopefully reduce any problems over liability. The truck and trailer were "company" assets and insurance companys were(are) known for sticking it to corporations. From the hitch out, I had the strongest (12K) draft gear that would mount on a 3/4 ton pick-up. 1-5/16 ball, brakes on both axles, the whole "9 yards" for an 8K gross trailer. It didn't weigh near that much in actual usage, maybe 6K. The battery was well kept up because I used it as a starting battery for the generator as well. Every day usage ~~~ I never had to draw on the preps, but they were in place if needed.

The truck and trailer were both acquired used, I was just getting started and capital costs for fiber optics work is extremely high. I went through the entire system from the hitch plug on the truck back and removed any "ScotchLocks" and crimped connectors that I found.

I fell back to my industrial electrical background here. All connections were made with wrapped connections and soldered. Those I can trust, and on the highway with wet and dirty splashes, the only sort that will stand up long term. The hitch wiring had setscrews on stranded wire. I will concede that 30 plus years in the electrical field before I started splicing was a strong background. And acquiring the equipment used left no concept of who actually did the work. But going over the rig and correcting hass alf work saved me a lot of pain as time went on.

The truck had a "factory" installed harness. Chevrolet, probably by a dealer. The trailer was Wells Cargo, again probably dealer work. In both cases, well known manufacturers. The shoddy work is typical of such aftermarket work. Soldered and properly insulated terminations, to me, the only way such work will take the abuse of a moving rig.

The shoddy work is typical of such aftermarket work. Soldered and properly insulated terminations, to me, the only way such work will take the abuse of a moving rig.
I could not agree more. You Gentlemen in the Rust Belt must have either VERY diligent mechanics, or VERY loose interpretation of the law as your local Trooper inforces it.

Shoddy is shoddy and crops up with alarming regularity these days.
Not is the same dangerous category but really bloody annoying to me.
Most deli counter staff cannot wrap up their products correctly.
How many times have they stuck the wet product into the plastic bag then wrapped that up nice and neatly in the paper.
BUT they never twist or otherwise seal the plastic bag, just flip the top of the bag somewhat over so any liquid can leak out soaking the paper wrapper and puddling in the bottom of your carry bag that then has to be washed out.
Its done so often that it must be norm.
I'm in the middle of a local complaint so I will see what eventuates.
Probably nothing more than an simple apology.

Interesting subject.
I find that the quality of wiring used in all consumer grade trailers is just good enough to get out the door and past the one year warranty.

I fly large RC stuff and the discussion of soldered vs crimped comes up occasionally. In an environment where vibration is a concern, soldered joints are NOT the way to go. The reason being is that the solder wicks up the wires and creates a "hard point" where the solder ends. The wire will break where this solder ends, especially since any strain relief usually ends long before that point. In the aviation industry, soldered joints are relatively rare. In the equipment bay of the aircraft I flew, there were thousands (or so it seems, maybe just 800 or so) of wires in huge bundles and they were all terminated with a crimp. Not saying there are no soldered joints at all, but the vast majority were crimped. BUT, crimping was done with calibrated tools and of course utilized high quality splicing connectors or terminations. In fact, if you want to dig deep, NASA has a white paper on proper terminations for spacecraft.
I have always thought about re-wiring my trailers with a high quality silicone multi-strand wire like I use in my RC aircraft, but it would be expensive.

Seriously? You do this with cars, trucks, machines, toaster, tv's, cell phones? How would the average person even know what to look for? At a minimum I expect the products I buy to be safe wihtout needing a degree in automotive engineering and electrical design to see if it meets minimum standards. There is zero excuse for the short cuts listed in the original post, the manufacturer is responsible and accountable...

I don't see where the OP explicitly state that the trailer was purchased new. If it's used, and you feel there's no need for looking it over, okay.

Last edited:
believe there is a rant of mine somewhere on this site concerning ScotchLocks.
Ha Ha, I was going to mention these dastardly devices. They are just terrible.
The boat trailer we had, which was made in Los Angeles had scotch locks inside the enclosed frame- A BOAT TRAILER! Hello.

Back