[How do I?] Disassemble A Wohlhaupter Upa3 Boring Head?

Sblack

Registered
Registered
I just need to remove the top part that the shank is integral with. It is an iso 30 or 40 taper and I need to machine it to be a straight shank. But to do that I have to get it apart without wrecking anything. Stefan Gottswinter has a video on machining a shank on one of these with carbide tooling and it is doable. The material is hard but not too hard. Just have to get it apart. Any advice welcomed.

Scott in Montreal

Last edited:
Ok before I figured out that the shank was not removeable I asked Wohlhaupter for a quote on an R8 shank. $1738. Not including shipping :)
When I regained consciousness.....

Last edited:
I had the use of one in another life, several decades ago. It worked, faced the bottom of a bore ever so nicely, but I'd hate to think of disassembly.

I was an wishful thinking used Wohlhaupter ebay lurker but eventually gave up. They rarely came with R8 I required and from what I was able to determine, replacing the arbor was a maybe yes / maybe no situation depending on the vintage & model. I didn't keep the links regarding this aspect but here is one to get you going. UPA-3's seemed like better odds, but I'd be inclined to inquire with a serial number beforehand.

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general/wohlhaupter-shank-removal-145029/

Reactions: hkv
To late, already bought it. There is no allen socket in the shank so it has to be a fixed one. I will just turn it down (he said with completely misplaced confidence... :))

My advice: sell the "Walhopper" before you destroy it trying to make it work and buy a boring/facing head off Ebay with an R8 shank. I grew up using Wallhoppers in the 80's and they are every bit as good as their price indicates but you aren't going to notice the difference between it and any other B/F head in an R8 spindle.

Its been 10 years, he may be gone or retired but there was a Wohlhaupter expert in So Cal, who repaired them , he redid mine which was a turned down shank model( done by a hack) but amazingly still holds .00015, according to the wizard a decade ago. My computer crashed since then and I have lost his link, but he may have had ebay posts for service, either that or search Practical Machinist posts for a link to him, he was the wizard and this head although rarely used by me since bores and faces like a dream. The French made ones from Enco maybe 30 years old are very similar and of good quality.

Wohlhaupter is like the cats pajamas, maybe not worth it, but a great example of excellence not restrained by price point

cheers
michael

Back