Disassembled Logan 820 Compound...2 Questions

tmenyc

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I have been troubled that my 820's compound was only rotating with great difficulty, and I had to fight the two adjusting bolts for every mm. So I took it apart, and it took using a vise grip on the nuts to get them loose. The issue is that both swivel bolts are bent, which tells me they need to be replaced; I'll get them from the Actuator. I'm taking advantage of the opportunity to really clean all of the parts.
First question: How do they get bent? Where does the strain come from?
Second question: the swivel pin appears to not move, or not want to move; I can't tell which. Does it come loose? Should it come loose, even for a generational cleaning?
Thanks!

( sorry about doing this in two posts...would have been multiple steps getting the images from my phone into the same universe as the text. )

Sets screw from the side might be holding it? Bent screw? Is the head small enough that bolt can shift and head is only supported on one side. Then when tightening the bolt is bending and will breakout the slot in time. Put as big of a head as you can for the slots.

My guess would be that in the past only one of the bolts was tightened down: the one facing the operator, in the name of making it more convenient to change the compound angle. The play in the loose bolt when taking a heavy cut (parting?) could cause the tightned bolt to be bent.

You may well be right, it makes sense, although the only previous owner didn't seem to have taken unwise shortcuts like that.
Thanks

Tim

In normal use, those fasteners should not be bent. Somebody abused them somehow. Just replace them.

The center pin is, I think, pressed in. No need to remove it.

Back