Disassembly and Cleanup of a Sanford SG48 Surface Grinder

It’s been a great little machine the few times I’ve used it.

I have to say I’m quite embarrassed I missed this typo. It is very hard to believe that this is a foundry mistake, If true though, there must be more out there, right?

On the other hand, the typo was made on two molds? Again, it seems very unlikely to me. A real head scratcher. I’ve been scouring the internet for photos of other machines that have the same name and haven’t turned up anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s been a great little machine the few times I’ve used it.

I have to say I’m quite embarrassed I missed this typo. It is very hard to believe that this is a foundry mistake, If true though, there must be more out there, right?

On the other hand, the typo was made on two molds? Again, it seems very unlikely to me. A real head scratcher. I’ve been scouring the internet for photos of other machines that have the same name and haven’t turned up anything.

Went out to the shop last night and did a walk around the unit. I think those that suggested that "Sandford" is a typo are absolutely correct. Refer to earlier photos in the thread to see the typos in the casting. Below is a photo of the inside of the column I took last night. ( I have the motor removed temporarily)

1631794503879.png

It is inconceivable to me that you could spell it correctly on multiple runs of castings but get it right on another. My only guess is that a newbie was assigned to setup the inserts and thought he was working at Sandford until somebody told him it was Sanford. :) Regardless, this new discovery gives me some relief and assurance that it is indeed a Sanford and not a cheap knockoff badged and passed of as an original. Until I hear otherwise, that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

This happens at my current employer. The name of the company is Edlund Co. and has been for 96 years. Most locals refer to it as Edlunds. Subtle difference that everyone knows is the same thing. You can tell somebody that there is no "s" but they will continue to write it and say it that way.

My only guess is that a newbie was assigned to setup the inserts and thought he was working at Sandford until somebody told him it was Sanford. :)
Newbie, drunk, malevolent, or a bad speller? Pretty sure it's a Sanford, but there's still a hidden story there. Wonder if there are other Sandford SG48's or even on their other models. Be fun to find out.

I always thought that "Sandford" was interchangeable with "Sanford". In Southern Ontario, you saw machines with either, but were obviously from the same manufacturer...

I always thought that "Sandford" was interchangeable with "Sanford". In Southern Ontario, you saw machines with either, but were obviously from the same manufacturer...

Doesn’t it seem strange though that if true, they would allow it??

Doesn’t it seem strange though that if true, they would allow it??

Sure does. If it was my product, I'd want my product name or brand spelled correctly. Suppose that's just my personal pride though. Maybe they were just pragmatic and figured as long as people bought them, they'd keep on making them.

I wondered if the brand started one way, and changed due to naming conflict or some other kind of external forces...

Trying to rewire and make functional all electrical features on my SG-48.

Sanford Wiring Diagram

I downloaded the schematic provided in this thread from a thread over at PM and after having read through the post a couple of times and then watching the following video, I decided to take this on.

Here is a photo album link to my wiring job.

Round 1:

I installed a main switch as you can see in the photos. Motor switch flopped to on and spindle turns on and off. Once.

Fuse is not blown. Resister still reads at rated value. I get proper drops in correct polarity through bridge rectifier.

After having unplugged the unit from main circuit power, I checked the cap for voltage and read 0. I turned the mag chuck to on and the cap discharged (spark).

Lessons Learned: test cap voltage at right wavelength. DC not AC. Yes, that was a rookie and nearly very costly mistake. Good news, I wasn't shocked or anything - just spooked and woke me up to making sure I knew what I was doing. This is my first AC to DC wiring project. I wouldn't have tried this without the schematic or some YouTube guidance and now I'm kind of stuck.

Round 2:
After a couple of days of staring at this thing. I decided I made a mistake on the motor switch. I fixed the neutral wires and steeled myself for ignition.

Motor turns on and stays on. Turn off the motor and try the mag-on. Nothing. Mag-off. Turn the motor back on. Nothing. Blew the fuse (10A) this time. Motor is rated for 6A. Schematic says to allow for 1A for the DC circuit feeding the chuck.

Capacitor measures a charge at 155VDC. O.k., I don't want to discharge this the fun way. I step away. Lock the shop and go online and order a discharge pen.

Round 3:

I think this is wired correctly, but obviously, it is not and I'm unsure how to proceed in troubleshooting. Discharged the cap using the pen. All is good. Replaced the fuse. Now I'm staring at the circuit again.

Is anyone here willing to take a look at the photos and offer some help? Note: the DPDT switch has the neutrals removed and tied together.

it is very hard to help diagnose from the photos alone. I'm at a loss as to how I might help. I wish I were an hour away - sometines it just takes one silly question or its explanation to get to the root of the problem.

Back