Disassembly of Standard Modern 13" Series 2000 Headstock

The bead of weld trick works well on valve seats also. Mike

Hi All,
I've recently picked up a Headstock from a student used SM 13" Series 2000 Lathe. The purpose it to disassemble it completely so I have spare parts for my functional lathe.

It's about 50% disassembled, but have some stubborn parts that won't come out. So, some questions:

1. What's the best way to get the Spindle Roller Bearing Cup out of the casting? Is it press fit in? Do those holes have something to with it, other than lubrication? There's not much of a lip on the interior to hammer on from the inside, so I worry about damaging it.

2. Removal of the upper rear bearing (Intermediate) shaft. The axis lines up with a circular feature at the spindle face.. does this feature come out with some force, so that the shaft can slide out? I've hammered on it a bit, but with no success.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks,
-Jeff
Jeff,I see this post is 2 years old ,but got my attention.
I'm looking for a 72T bull gear for my standard modern 13" 2000 series circa 1968,a long shot but you never know
Dan

When you were dissassembling the spindle, how is oil retained in the bearings and headstock (what stops it from leaking out?). Is there an o-ring? Very curious around what you found in there.

I'd love to get the tailstock off a 13" inch standard modern. Is there any possibility this machine could be parted out? Happy to pay, but fully understand if you're trying to keep the machine in backup.

Back