Ditron DRO

Question to fellow Ditron D80 owners with the RPM option.

Is there any additional functionality, such as entering a diameter to have the surface feet per minute output instead of rpm? If not then this is criminally stupid of the manufacturer.

Asking because I'm just about to install mine on the mill and design a ring mount for the magnet array, as well as sensor brackets. It's a lot easier to design for two sensors right off the bat if I need to try to run a separate mach tac unit

Question to fellow Ditron D80 owners with the RPM option.

Is there any additional functionality, such as entering a diameter to have the surface feet per minute output instead of rpm? If not then this is criminally stupid of the manufacturer.

Asking because I'm just about to install mine on the mill and design a ring mount for the magnet array, as well as sensor brackets. It's a lot easier to design for two sensors right off the bat if I need to try to run a separate mach tac unit
I don't have the RPM conversion, but a look through the manual and unit software shows that it *only* reports RPM, and does not allow user set variable input or capture from a scale input to allow computation of SFM values.

In fact, there are a few areas where this unit COULD provide fantastic output, but it is not implemented. The mill mode is well done, and the lathe mode has vectoring, but certain possibilities aren't available due to software limitations. Such as (on lathe) subtracting [longitudinal travel] from [quill travel] to yield the distance from tool to origin, or distance from quill to tool point. Could be done, but isn't there. So, ultimately, these are readout displays first, and computational displays in very few cases. If you could crack the firmware, it would probably be easy to implement SFM conversion, but I'm just guessing. It's not like the DRO head is powered by ARM with an Android OS.

Just a closing thought, but a simple SFM standalone head unit might not be very hard to build with analog electronics. Take a pulse, multiply it by an input variable that includes pi and the multiplier (even it it takes DIP switches), and the display will read SFM. Or just get good at the rough math, diameter times RPM divided by 4 should get you close enough to pick the right sheave. At least I think so this late in the day.

I don't have the RPM conversion, but a look through the manual and unit software shows that it *only* reports RPM, and does not allow user set variable input or capture from a scale input to allow computation of SFM values.

In fact, there are a few areas where this unit COULD provide fantastic output, but it is not implemented. The mill mode is well done, and the lathe mode has vectoring, but certain possibilities aren't available due to software limitations. Such as (on lathe) subtracting [longitudinal travel] from [quill travel] to yield the distance from tool to origin, or distance from quill to tool point. Could be done, but isn't there. So, ultimately, these are readout displays first, and computational displays in very few cases. If you could crack the firmware, it would probably be easy to implement SFM conversion, but I'm just guessing. It's not like the DRO head is powered by ARM with an Android OS.

Just a closing thought, but a simple SFM standalone head unit might not be very hard to build with analog electronics. Take a pulse, multiply it by an input variable that includes pi and the multiplier (even it it takes DIP switches), and the display will read SFM. Or just get good at the rough math, diameter times RPM divided by 4 should get you close enough to pick the right sheave. At least I think so this late in the day.
Thanks for the reply. That's what I expected.

I had been wavering for the past few years between machtach and an arduino unit, never got around to either so just bought an rpm meter and a calculator. But I think it's time to pull the trigger on a machtach if henry has a couple boards and ICs left

Pontiac428 is correct above. The Ditron only displays RPM, and to get that your DRO must have an optional DB9 connector marked “RPM”. The Hall effect sensor and some magnets come with the option, the rest is left for you.

I have installed the sensors on two lathes so far, and have a thread somewhere here on how I did that. It’s a very clean installation, does not interfere with change gears, collet closet, etc.

Pontiac428 is correct above. The Ditron only displays RPM, and to get that your DRO must have an optional DB9 connector marked “RPM”. The Hall effect sensor and some magnets come with the option, the rest is left for you.

I have installed the sensors on two lathes so far, and have a thread somewhere here on how I did that. It’s a very clean installation, does not interfere with change gears, collet closet, etc.

I did order the DRO with the rpm option and the first thing I did was inspect the DROs to assure that they had the input and sensor. I think I paid $25 more to get that option.

I guess I'll cheap out and just use the DRO calculator to calculate the sfpm from the given rpm.... or work backwards to determine the rpm to select to match my machining requirements.

Back