Dividing head

682bear

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I ordered a BS-1 dividing head from Precision Matthews last week... the brown truck dropped it off today...

20200805_130314.jpg

Its pretty nice... and seems to be well made. The instructions are very basic, but I managed to figure it all out. I haven't used one of these since tech school, and didn't remember much about it.

I am going to use it to make a new gear for my Hendey lathe... or I'm gonna try...

-Bear

Interesting....looks exactly like the Morphon i got off Amazon, down to every attachment. Is it branded as PM? I'm pretty happy with mine, the only issue I find is there seems to be VERY little of area to indicate off of that's longer than an inch without an interruption of sorts. The pin with the lockout for the dial always seems to snap free when turning it, not sure if I'm doing it wrong or if there is some sort of adjustment? Solid and heavy chunk of steel!

Interesting....looks exactly like the Morphon i got off Amazon, down to every attachment. Is it branded as PM? I'm pretty happy with mine, the only issue I find is there seems to be VERY little of area to indicate off of that's longer than an inch without an interruption of sorts. The pin with the lockout for the dial always seems to snap free when turning it, not sure if I'm doing it wrong or if there is some sort of adjustment? Solid and heavy chunk of steel!

Did you get the BS-0 or BS-1. I’m looking at the BS-0 for my Grizzly 1007.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BS-0 I have no complaints other than I can't find much real estate to indicate in on. It's the only one I've ever owned, so nothing to compare it to. So far I've been able to do everything I've need to do with it. $265 delivered on Amazon and I have a feeling all the Chinese ones are made at same factory, I can't see ANY differences with the units...MAYBE in the tail stock.

It is branded as PM, but I think they are all probably made by the same factory in China.

I ordered it from PM because I wanted to know that I was ordering from someone with an established record for customer service if it arrived damaged or defective.

I think I have everything I need to make the gears for my Hendey now... the gear tooth cutter arrived yesterday... so I'm planning to make my first attempt this next week...

-Bear

"I ordered it from PM because I wanted to know that I was ordering from someone with an established record for customer service if it arrived damaged or defective."
Seems to be more important than ever. Quickly comparing BS-1 prices the PM is right in line with several other options, BUT we know PM would handle any problems. Good choice !
The BS-0 seems to be higher at PM but what is our comfort zone for dealing with returns and adjustments thru Amazon ? My experience with Amazon stuff has been mediocre. (Others mileage may vary)
Good luck and keep us in the loop as you experiment on the gear production

I have the same one as the OP. Being ignorant, I thought maybe I could pivot it vertical and hold work on a vertical mill. Nope, not rigid enough for even small cuts. That was a disappointing, but I have nothing to compare it to as for whether any other brand would work any better.

I have the same one as the OP. Being ignorant, I thought maybe I could pivot it vertical and hold work on a vertical mill. Nope, not rigid enough for even small cuts. That was a disappointing, but I have nothing to compare it to as for whether any other brand would work any better.

This is good to know as I was thinking of the same possibility.

I wonder if the reverse, a rotary table on edge would work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back