Dividing heads

I recently got a Vertex BS-0 and it is perfect for my A&S Tools mill/drill. I think this is more the size you must loock at. Great price for the other one, but way to big. There is lots you can do with a DH.20180404_090904.jpg
20180404_162456.jpg
20180404_162043.jpg
20180404_162008.jpg
20180404_161929.jpg
That's my 2 cents.

Michael

20180409_082208.jpg

20180404_161956.jpg

20180404_162008.jpg

A helluva buy....... if you have a truck big enough to move it. I have a couple of smaller ones, experimenting is why there's more than one. What I do use most often though is a sixty(60) tooth gear(?) built into my lathe. (Craftsman 12x36) The sixty tooth gives the possibility of dividing by five. With whatever lathe chuck is mounted, that suffices for most of my operations.

A lot of numbers can be generated that way. For gear cutting, there is the small indexing head, 3-1/2 inch table to which is mounted permanantly a three jaw mini-lathe chuck. I used to have a six inch head(B&S-0) but passed it on to a maker group. It was just too big to fit my small machines. And I have some fraction plates, again too big to use, for 51 to 97 prime numbers. Scrounged from a scrap bin where they were taken for disk brake rotors.(?) But they were too nice to pass up, I grabbed 'em and stashed 'em, late at night on 11-7 shift.

About the only thing I cannot do is "compounded" indexing. Other than that one issue, most gears can be improvised with a gear mounted on the backside of the spindle and an indexing device to clamp it in place. Be it a lathe or a milling machine, it's a fairly simple method. Even at the price you quoted, I would have to pass up an indexer that big unless I had a full sized serious shop to work in. Those custom gears can be finagled in numerous ways..

I must keep in mind though that my model building is small, 1:87.5, and most of my work is oriented to that.

Bill Hudson​

Last edited:
I recently got a Vertex BS-0 and it is perfect for my A&S Tools mill/drill. I think this is more the size you must loock at. Great price for the other one, but way to big. There is lots you can do with a DH.

@Suzuki4evr ;

what source did you buy this accessory from? I am thinking that it would be ideal fro what I need. Is it a difficult piece of equipment to use? Learn?

Thanks,
CDarby67

I decided it was WAY too big. But I bought it anyway, the price was too good.

Then I sold it. Made a few bucks off of it.

And, I bought a new Vertex 8" rotary table. I was looking at the 6" ones, but decided to go bigger, everyone seemed to agree that you should go as big as you can to give more room for clamping things down. My mill has a 9" wide table, so it should fit fine.

I was able to get the table for $360 shipped, which I thought was pretty good. I picked up a set of dividing plates for it, and a D1-4 back plate that I can bolt to it to allow me to use my lathe chuck on it.

I also changed mills- The PM30's were delayed, the company told me weeks, but could be months, so I went with the next model up. It's a much beefier mill- Hell, the cast iron stand for it weighs almost as much as the other mill I had ordered... It's something like 1100 lbs total, so a big step up from a mini mill for sure.

I recently got a Vertex BS-0 and it is perfect for my A&S Tools mill/drill. I think this is more the size you must loock at. Great price for the other one, but way to big. There is lots you can do with a DH.

@Suzuki4evr ;

what source did you buy this accessory from? I am thinking that it would be ideal fro what I need. Is it a difficult piece of equipment to use? Learn?

Thanks,
CDarby67
I bought it at a engineering & machine accessories shop here in SA. It is not difficult at all to use or to learn. It is perfect for smaller mills. I don't know where you are,but you can buy a vertex from ebay out of china for a good price,but for me it was too expensive with the shipping and added taxes. The learning part is easy and lots YouTube videos available. The manual that came with it also explains very well. I must tell you that I used it a lot and only had it for a short while. I don't know how I did things without it. It is a fun tool to have and a great investment.

Michael

@Suzuki4evr ;

Thanks,
CDarby67
A dividing head is pretty easy to use, especially for direct indexing, using the plate behind the chuck with its dividing plunger, this works at up to 24 divisions, for other divisions the dividing plate(s) on the front are used. With this method, you can divide up to 360, I think, except prime numbers (such as 127). If you did not get a dividing table along with the head, it is all in Machinery's Handbook, or you can find Brown & Sharpe's book (available online, I'm told) "Practical Treatise on Milling and Milling Machines". The dividing head you show in the picture is a knock off of their dividing heads.

Its a Precision Mathews PM30.... I figured that 10" swing was probably on the big side for this machine...
I have a 8 " yuasa rotary table with a 6" chuck for my mill, I wish it was smaller because of the weight. I find I dont use it much because it is so heavy and awkward to install on table.

I picked up a BS-0 Chinese clone from eBay a couple years back for fairly cheap and it's been good enough for my use. The 3-jaw chuck does run out some, but with centers it's dead on. The chuck is close enough for most of my work, but if I want better I just use the centers.

Might want to check those out as well.

Ted

I have a 8 " yuasa rotary table with a 6" chuck for my mill, I wish it was smaller because of the weight. I find I dont use it much because it is so heavy and awkward to install on table.
I had the same situation so far as weight is concerned, and at 73 years, it isn't getting better, a few years ago, I got some sliding door track, like for a barn door, and a HF electric winch and set one up over the mill, and one over the lathe, so now no more heavy lifting, at least on those two machines. Another fix that I saw, was a hinged bridge (slide) attached to the work bench behind a mill that landed on the mill table alongside the machine; when the dividing head was needed, the drawbridge was lowered and the dividing head slid down onto the mill table. Such a bridge should be covered or made of metal so that accessories will slide on it easily, or perhaps some plastic; if it had a channel down its center for the accessory's keys to fit into, all the better.

I like weight of the BS-0
If need more swing just put block under the BS-0

Dave

Back