• Welcome back Guest! Did you know you can mentor other members here at H-M? If not, please check out our Relaunch of Hobby Machinist Mentoring Program!

• In order for the Member Map to work properly, you must allow Google services AND Hobby Machinist to know your location. These settings are found in your browser of choice and in your Hobby Machinist profile.

Winner DIY 5-C Collet CHuck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right now my challange is finding the materials at a cost that is not more than simply buying a pre made import version. I found a Bison 5c for just a little more than I can find all the larger steel components. But I still like the idea of being able to make it yourself!!!

Nope, the challenge would be to make it look different than his and have it work the same. :lmao::lmao::lmao:

"Billy G" :whistle::whistle:

Hmmm, maybe add some fancy engraving. :thinking:

M

Right now my challange is finding the materials at a cost that is not more than simply buying a pre made import version. I found a Bison 5c for just a little more than I can find all the larger steel components. But I still like the idea of being able to make it yourself!!!

How did the materials price out? The cheapest non-Bison 5c I could find was $130.

M

How did the materials price out? The cheapest non-Bison 5c I could find was $130.

M

A little over $300 with shipping, that 5-1/4" stock gets heavy quick, plus I quoted it in 4140 not 1018 but there was only about 10% difference.

I cast my vote for project of the month on this project, Now how do I make it count?:headscratch:

Thanks for the vote Charley.

As far as material,I used all scap metal for this. The cast iron for the back plate was given to me by a friend and I bought the rest of the steel at a scrap metal place. He sells steel and iron at .25 cents a pound. the only piece that started out round was the cast iron for the back plate. The back plate could just as well be steel too.

I reckon I have maybe $30 to $40 in mine in materials. $10 dollars of that was for cap screws. I bought some 2.00 in and some 1 1/2 in. 6 each.

I did a lot of sawing on my 4 x6 saw to get square things close to round so I could turn them on the lathe.

The 2 1/2 dia nose pice started out as close to 4.00 dia roller I found at the scrap yard several years ago.

Ron

Ron, Sorry my last post was so short. I started the "reply to" and then had to rush off....
Mate you've done a great job there, and (thanks to 7HC) I am also going to make one.
With the polish job it looks as good as a bought one. The only giveaway is the weld fillets still visible. Thinking about a work around there....
This too is going to be referred to Tony for project of the month.

Cheers Phil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back