• Welcome back Guest! Did you know you can mentor other members here at H-M? If not, please check out our Relaunch of Hobby Machinist Mentoring Program!

• In order for the Member Map to work properly, you must allow Google services AND Hobby Machinist to know your location. These settings are found in your browser of choice and in your Hobby Machinist profile.

Winner DIY 5-C Collet CHuck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Steve. It's all scrap metal from our local scrapper. I have no idea what kind of steel it is. The nose piece was a roller of some kind I picked up years ago. I used a HSS cutting tool to mark it by hand to see if it would be machinable. The rest is just some rusty flat plate I found at the scrapper. The back plate is cast iron. I know the steel got hard when I welded it so it's not regular mild steel. I had previously built up some mild steel for a conneting rod on my loco by welding and it didn't get hard like this. It machined very well.
After I welded on the stand offs for the chuck it was hard machining even for my cheap carbide cutters, the HSS wouldn't touch it.

As far as cost I may have $30 to $40 in it and $10 of that is for various 1/4- 20 cap screws.

The finish was accomplished by filing and 150 and 250 grit emery cloth. The final finish using well used 250 cloth truning at 1200 rpm in the lathe.

Ron

Why can I not see the pics. I know without pics you have nothing, help me out.
Nelson Collar
May the Lord Direct Your Steps
"When injustice becomes law - resistance becomes duty."

Go to the second page of this thread, then scroll to the bottom of the page, which is where the pics reside.

M

A little late but dang fine job wish I do thinks like that.

Jeff

Thanks for looking in Jeff.

Just jump in and give it a try. I only started about 3 years ago.

Ron

You've inspired me to start on an ER32 collet chuck.
Less complex than the 5c, but it'll be the first time I've tried to bore an internal taper, (I'll probably be asking questions about doing that soon ;) ).

M

I don't have any of the blue stuff to check fits so I used a Jumbo permanent Black Marker. Painted up the taper part of the collet and put it in, gave a little twist.

It showed contact from the front of the collet back about half way to the end of the taper. Adjusted compound took a light cut, put on more marker, and it showed contact full depth so called it good.

You'll do fine.

Ron

This thread made me join the forum, well it didn't "make me" more inspired me too. Nice work, I'm searching out metal for mine now.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back