Diy Column extension collar

ZombiWelder

Registered
Registered
Gentlemen! 11" from table to spindle has gotten old,
This is the machine I got, different color, paid 1/3 the price .
http://www.grizzly.com/products/6-x...ampaign=Branding&utm_content=BrandRetargeting
How much, if any , rigidity would I loose if I milled say 4 in solid steel block column extension? (More likely I'd use 2" plate that id sandwich and weld) I'm already relying on shims to tram the head, so can't screw that up a whole lot. Hell, thinking to give it a try to mill the extension to compensate for the .004" shim I got in there?
Much appreciated!
Art.

Are you planning to add the 4" at the bottom of the column, and keep the knee screw where it is and extend the screw 4"? I doubt it would affect the overall rigidity very little, if at all. Nothing ventured nothing gained. Mike

Are you planning to add the 4" at the bottom of the column, and keep the knee screw where it is and extend the screw 4"? I doubt it would affect the overall rigidity very little, if at all. Nothing ventured nothing gained. Mike
I'm Lil confused :/(noob here) how would I extend the screw 4"? I wasnt thinking to do anything with the knee. Just space apart the main body of the mill and the head, hope I'm using right terms. I've seen colars made for bridgeports to do the same job.

Ck out Doubleboost on YouTube , he used 6" for his riser . And ill say he uses his mill. To the fullest amount possible. I think he added a stop on the table riser so it didn't come out of the nut. He cut away the table ends to get as much travel on each axis. Not to long ago he upgraded to VFD and motor set up for his mill. John Mills is his name.

Where does your table end up with the knee raised all the way? Remember any time you extend the spindle for cutting operations you lose rigidity, and adding 4" might make that a nesseccity. Also you have the option of clamping your work peace directly to the table or a sacrificial piece of alum, or MDF to gain vertical space, which will also increase rigidity somewhat. How many things have you run into where you actually required the entire 11"? Before making any changes I would check all your measurements, and get a good handle on what adding the 4" might affect. The only mill I've woked on is my Bridgeport, so no hands on experience with your machine or similar. Mike

The standard way to to add the collar between the column and the head.
There are plenty of internet videos on doing this, Doubleboost has a similar machine and added 5" to his nose height.

Back