Diy Compound Power Feed

jocat54

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I was turning some morse taper 3 using the compound and my old hands kept cramping slowly turning the compound---so I had a little 50:1 gear motor and thought why not.
Turned some delrin for the pulleys and had some 3/8" link belt. (Tried a vacuum cleaner belt first--didn't work well) A piece of aluminum angle and a small piece of 1/4" flat plate and had the basic workings for a rough design.
It works really well--might clean it up some. Need to find my 12v power supply--using a battery charger right
now.
compound1.jpg

John,

I like your set-up. I was actually thinking of doing something similar for my lathe. Last year I had a little project that involved turning several tapers and my hands started cramping so bad that it caused the little wheels between my ears to start turning :grin big: So, I had some ideas but got side-tracked and never got to doing it. I think you've re-ignited my interest.

Ted

Last edited:
12 vdc? or ac? I have a basket full of power supplies, some of the switching supplies are pretty hefty current rated. Let me know if you can't find one.

I like it! Might have to try repurposing a windshield wiper motor for a similar application. Thanks for the idea!!!

Very nice. I to have thought that would be a great accessory for a lathe. Should make the cuts look much better/uniform. I find it hard to keep a constant speed by hand to make the cut look nice.

Well I made new pulleys to properly fit a vacuum cleaner belt and I like it better. The soft rubber belt makes it a lot smoother and a better grip on the pulleys. With the PWM it will get down to about 4 rpm (reliably)on the compound handle--top speed is about 25-30 rpm.

compound2.jpg

Now that is a great MacGyver solution!

That's using the old noodle. I like the vacuum cleaner belt idea. I'm sure many of us can relate to the cramping hand syndrome. I was notching some beams the other day with the worm drive, and a hammer and chisel when the hands decided they had enough. Took a little break, drank a bottle of water, and stretched them out some, and back to work. Just another one of the joys of the aging process. Cheers, Mike

Back