DIY knee mill build

So, here is my finished diy Gorton pantograph to knee mill build. I found a good deal on a 1hp totally enclosed Dayton motor which really beats the washing machine motor I had been using. Looks better too. Note the 5 1/4" by 4" milling vise. It seems to fit pretty good and has a nice and tight action. The final spindle speeds range from a low of about 245 rpm on up which matches anything my ER-20 collect can hold cutting steel. I sold the extra parts off the panto which paid for the motor and milling vise. Next is shimming and tramming the mill and playtime.
hmachn.JPGmtr.JPGdrive.JPGvisec.JPGmod.JPG The last photo shows two old forged wrenches I had; I milled the lower one in my new mill with a 3/8" dia. carbide end mill to open it up to hold the collet shaft steady while the collet nut is loosened. It cut through that tough old steel like a breeze. It's my first actual job on any mill making something useful (other than the machine keyways mentioned previously in this thread. So far I am having lots of fun for little expense.

Back