DIY OD Grinder fixture, For the surface grinder- maybe

I'll wear my motorcycle helmet.
I don't have a lot of confidence in these Chinesium expanding mandrels.
But, we'll move forward.

Thanks man
It works.
The spin index runs concentric!!
I think I'll run it around 140. If I take it easy I should be ok. Sharp HSS is the idea.
Now to do the math and work out the bushings, the oring specs etc.
This is the fun part

Attachments

• IMG_0105.MOV
    26.5 MB
Why not mount to a faceplate and cut the grooves on the lathe. Grind yourself a grooving tool. Should be a nice little job.
Although a boring and facing head would easy the job.

Why not mount to a faceplate and cut the grooves on the lathe. Grind yourself a grooving tool. Should be a nice little job.
Although a boring and facing head would easy the job.
I don’t have a face plate.

I changed direction.
I’m boring it on the mill.
I can use my coaxial indicator to dial in each side and the plate makes it much mor predictable and stable.

Attachments

• FAC66B17-03FF-4ABB-BA25-553CD9548776.jpeg
    FAC66B17-03FF-4ABB-BA25-553CD9548776.jpeg
    354.9 KB · Views: 14
  • 636D8E4C-75BC-491C-A95A-2A87961D807A.jpeg
    636D8E4C-75BC-491C-A95A-2A87961D807A.jpeg
    300.8 KB · Views: 14
  • 1D6134A0-F7CA-49CD-BBCD-5A70563163FB.jpeg
    1D6134A0-F7CA-49CD-BBCD-5A70563163FB.jpeg
    266.1 KB · Views: 14
I changed direction.
I can use my coaxial indicator to dial in each side and the plate makes it much mor predictable and stable.
Jeff, lock in the base more like you did with the toe clamps. I think you need more, just in case... It's always better that it NOT move unintentionally.
Edit: capture it in all directions N,E,S,W

I like that setup a lot more than the expanding arbor. Using a boring head or a key seat cutter?

I changed direction.
At least we got to see the video of it rotating on the lathe :)…that looked cool and dangerous, hehehe

Following!!!

Change your clamping method Jeff . Stack the heel blocks up and clamp on the boss and 180 degrees on the round part . ( pull it down tight ) . If you ever want to try out a boring/facing head , let me know .

Change your clamping method Jeff . Stack the heel blocks up and clamp on the boss and 180 degrees on the round part . ( pull it down tight ) . If you ever want to try out a boring/facing head , let me know .
You think this will move?
I forgot to add paper between the clamped bar and the part.
I’ll work on it Dave, wink.

I have a lot of thinking to do on my design. I am feeling pretty good about it.

Cheers mate.

Dave,
Is this better?

Maybe one more stack between the toe clamps?

Attachments

• clamp 1.jpg
    clamp 1.jpg
    186.2 KB · Views: 13
  • clamp 2.jpg
    clamp 2.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 14
  • clamp 3.jpg
    clamp 3.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 15
Back