DIY wire saw designed to slice up a forklift

I just did a test of some speed skating wheels, the bigger ones. My son skated inline and on ice. I have a ton of old wheels.
They machine well, and because of the weight they hold and forces they are pretty well built.
pics soon Gotta find my cable to transfer them. I could send you a box of them, you would just pay shipping.
They require 2 bearings a piece, and a spacer.
20220201_162929.jpg20220201_162951.jpg20220201_163156.jpg

Last edited:
Strantor- I love your commentary. You will be a big hit on YT!

so watching your video, its clear to me that you didn't build it heavy enough to dampen things. The more weight you get in, and the more rigidity the less CHANCE of vibration, even with an out of true pulley. One feeds the other.

Can you clamp some heavy angles onto the unistrut and add any more damping along the bar.
I agree with your assessment, and I had decided to just live with it, for this revision of the saw anyway. I've ran it probably a total of 6 hours and the plastic pulleys haven't been chewed up by the wacky waving wire, so I find it easy to pretend nothing is wrong. But clamping some angle to it won't be hard; I'll give it a try. Thanks for the suggestion.
I also wonder how rigid those wheels are also. if they are flexing under load.
They're UHMW Polyethylene. Basically kitchen cutting board material. They are not that rigid. It's possible they are flexing under load.
How many ball bearings are in each sheave ? 2 I hope
Just one. Two would be better, but... I only put one.
I just did a test of some speed skating wheels, the bigger ones. My son skated inline and on ice. I have a ton of old wheels.
They machine well, and because of the weight they hold and forces they are pretty well built.
pics soon Gotta find my cable to transfer them. I could send you a box of them, you would just pay shipping.
They require 2 bearings a piece, and a spacer.
View attachment 394645View attachment 394646View attachment 394647
Thank you for taking the time to try that and post the results, and thank you for extending the offer. I gladly accept! I will PM you my address and we can discuss how I pay for shipping. Do you have at least one with bearings still in? I just want to know what the bearing p/n is so that I can get some on order.

I have machined those Razor wheels and used them in projects. They are nice. I also recommend.

Strantor- I love your commentary. You will be a big hit on YT!
Thanks! I almost had something real going on back in '08/'09, my channel was about knife making and I had over a million views (all videos combined) and a few thousand subscribers (now I'm down to just a few hundred, not sure why anyone would have unsubscribed?). Then I got a job offshore/overseas, and didn't have time to make new videos so my channel "dried up" and I never rehydrated it. If I had kept it up I might be an internet celebrity right now :p.

I posted another video or two since then but they didn't get any attention. Now I'm trying to pick it up and dust it off, get active on YouTube again. I'm hoping this wire saw will draw in some viewers. So if you're enjoying this, feel free to "like, subscribe and share" as they say...

The channel won't be about knifemaking anymore. It will be about whatever crazy thing I feel like making. Machining & fabrication videos, machine builds like this, electronic circuit builds, tractor-related builds, firearms & reloading -related builds, automation, etc. I came up with a list of >250 projects I'd like to do and upload (I won't finish before I die) and here are the first few in the list:
  • Build a miniature CNC Swiss lathe for making solid copper bullets (That's what the fork lift cast iron is for)
  • Cut my two seater UTV in half and extend it, adding a back seat.
  • Build a manual CVT for the UTV
  • Build a PTO Dynamometer for the tractor & Hack the tractor's ECU for more HP
  • Build a pantograph plasma cutter attachment for the CNC mill
  • Build an Amphibious aluminum jet boat
  • Build an automated range brass sorter using machine vision and AI.

This will be mostly a recap for anyone who has been following this thread, but I uploaded a new video. This is for the benefit of folks on YouTube who run across the videos without the benefit of the context that this thread provides. But, there is still some new information, like the history and cost of the wire, a full walk-around of the saw in action, etc.

Thank you, this is a great project. As the wire is used, the diamond grit would become less "sharp." Seems like by the time it was sold on eBay it would have much less cutting speed than the original. But price matters. When you go into full mass production of these machines you can sell them with new, "fast" wire.
I'm curious about what they end up with in the cast iron forklift weights.
Buying "new" CI is expensive in small quantities. Would this process enable selling salvaged CI at a profit?

Thank you, this is a great project.
Thanks!
As the wire is used, the diamond grit would become less "sharp." Seems like by the time it was sold on eBay it would have much less cutting speed than the original. But price matters.

The wire on ebay is not used. It is brand new, just old; arrived in original factory packaging with vacuum seal unbroken. According to the manufacturer it has a shelf life of 1 year and this wire 8 years expired. It also said on the package to use within a week of opening. I think this wire is just fine despite being "expired." I don't have any brand new wire to compare to, but it cuts just fine for my purposes. I postulate that given the delicate nature of the use the wire is intended for, the expiration date is probably to do with purity and QA. The wire MFG is probably just covering their ass, not wanting to invite lawsuits over stray diamond bits or oxidation contaminating a batch of RAM chips due to the end user using some dusty wire they left in an uncontrolled atmosphere for years.

When you go into full mass production of these machines you can sell them with new, "fast" wire.

I'm curious about what they end up with in the cast iron forklift weights.
Buying "new" CI is expensive in small quantities. Would this process enable selling salvaged CI at a profit?

I don't think there is much if any profit to be made in selling wire saws or wire sawn scrap. I worked for a company that made wire saws and it went under due to lack of interest and because the owner was a conman, but mostly lack of interest. Diamond wire is almost always not the best way to cut things. It's slow, requires a lot of supporting hardware/processes, and ridiculously expensive. It's one of those things where when you really need it, you really need it; nothing else will do(*). But if you don't really need it, find another way. The only reason it's not 100% stupid for me to do this is because of the access to wire at 2% of MSRP. Even if I got wire and counterweights delivered regularly for free, I think I would struggle to put food on the table selling butchered counterweights because of the time it takes. Maybe I underestimate the value of large pieces of cast iron? I've never seen anything for sale like the chunks I'm after, so I don't know their actual value. But after having cut (part of) the transmission housing, I'm estimating I'll need more than a day to complete a single on cut the forklift.

(*) EDIT: The analogy I used yesterday to explain this to my friend is imagine you have a big tree that needs to come down; a sequoia or something, 10ft thick. You need a really big Chainsaw. But if the tree is made of cast iron, granite, or titanium, a Chainsaw won't be much use. There's only one thing I can think of that would work: diamond wire. But if the tree is just made of wood, you'll be so much happier if you just use a really big chainsaw.

Last edited:
The wire on ebay is not used. It is brand new
I had missed that. I must say it seems strange that something like that would go to hell in a year! But lawyers do cause a lot of waste!
Just funning you on selling the machines. As long as the saw can operate unattended , being slow isn't a big deal if you aren't trying to make mots of money. Kind of like raising a chicken to make an egg.

Back