DIY wire saw designed to slice up a forklift

Great video!
Thanks for sharing it here.

I gotta wonder if an accidental thermite reaction is a risk.
Initially I was wondering about it in the shop (maybe on the cart), but even in the shop-vac.....

Play Safe!
Brian
A friend of mine who knows more about this than I do, informed that there is some risk. So from now on I will do this outside and with water for coolant.

Make sure you collect the dust...for an intentional thermite reaction....
Funny you should mention... while cutting a forged steel block in a video that hasn't been uploaded yet, I had planned on collecting the dust from the shopvac outside to see if I could set it off. There was no dust in the shopvac. This dust, whatever particle size it is, is small enough to go straight through the filter.

This dust, whatever particle size it is, is small enough to go straight through the filter.
I hope then that you are wearing an appropriate filter to avoid the stuff in your lungs :(

To all of us:

If you ever go for an MRI, you must tell your doctor you work with metal. They will prescribe an ORBITAL xray. It's to make sure your eyes do not have metal (small frags) in them. The mri can rip your eye apart as it pulls the metal. An MRI is magnets on steroids'. It requires helium cooling. I thought I would do a Public Service Announcement for those not aware.

To all of us:

If you ever go for an MRI, you must tell your doctor you work with metal. They will prescribe an ORBITAL xray. It's to make sure your eyes do not have metal (small frags) in them. The mri can rip your eye apart as it pulls the metal. An MRI is magnets on steroids'. It requires helium cooling. I thought I would do a Public Service Announcement for those not aware.
Yes, take this seriously! You can permanently damage your eyes. I had to have an MRI (quite a while ago) and told them I do metal work. They sent me to xray for my eyes first.

I hope then that you are wearing an appropriate filter to avoid the stuff in your lungs :(
I was not. Not for that video or the next few. I may have taken a year or two off my life, who knows. But it's not something I plan to repeat. From now on this happens outside, with flood coolant to control dust. Not only is inhalation a hazard but creating an explosive atmosphere.

so what's happening with the wire cutter? Where are you at?
Thanks for checking in! I'm in South Carolina, working 15 hour days, 7 days a week. Prior to that I was 100% engaged in getting my daughter's truck ready for her 16th birthday. I'll be here in SC for the next 2 weeks at least, maybe a month, then back to TX and wrap up the truck, get the birthday festivities behind me, and pick up where I left off on the saw. Assuming I remember how it works.

Back