DM860T input voltage

I would suspect that the driver was designed for dual input, either AC or DC. DC would directly power the driver and AC would be converted to DC to power the driver. Modern power supplies are not simple rectifier/capacitor filter supplies but usually incorporate some sort of voltage regulation to provide a constant voltage output under varying load requirements.

Stepper motors have a theoretical infinite torque at zero rpm. In practice, however, the torque is limited by the resistance of the motor windings. Generally speaking, a stepper operates better on a higher drive voltage than a lower voltage. Providing a working range for the input voltage allows the driver to be used with different motors and with different degrees of effectiveness.

You have two conflicting specifications for the input voltage, either AC or DC. Using the lower of the maximum voltage specifications will ensure that you don't overdrive your input.

In viewing the online manual, you have a photograph of the driver with voltages specified as well as a text spec sheet. If your driver matches the photograph in the manual, I would tend to believe that before I would the printed manual. Also, in my experience, on-line manuals tend to be more up to date than the printed versions.

Text within the manual states that the output drivers are rated at 160 volts (page 6). It further states that it is recommended to limit an AC supply to 70 volts to allow for voltage fluctuations and back EMF. That sounds like good advice to me.

Back