Do I have the right VFD (Yaskawa)

R Thor

Registered
Registered
A couple of questions regarding a VFD I have. A friend of mine gave me a new Yaskawa J1000 drive. I want to use this on a mill that has a 2HP 3 phase motor. I am pretty sure I will not be able to configure this drive on my own without help. I have a friend I use to work with who could help but not until this virus stuff passes.

The two questions I was hoping for answers for are:

Will this drive accept a 220v single phase input? The friend who gave it to me said it could be configured for single phase input but I don’t see that in the manual.

Will I be able to connect a potentiometer to it for speed control instead of using the arrow buttons? This will allow me mounting this in a better location.

The drive is model number CIMR-JU2A0020BAA. This model is rated at 5.5Kw and 19.6 amps output with a three phase input.
Thanks in advance for any help.

That drive is not rated for single phase input. Having said that, by setting L8.1-05 = 0, Input Phase Loss Detect, it should run on single phase. Give that you have a 2.2KW (3 HP) motor, the 5.5KW VFD should run that just fine. That is about the proper amount of derating for a 3 phase input VFD.

That drive is not rated for single phase input. Having said that, by setting L8.1-05 = 0, Input Phase Loss Detect, it should run on single phase. Give that you have a 2.2KW (3 HP) motor, the 5.5KW VFD should run that just fine. That is about the proper amount of derating for a 3 phase input VFD.

Thanks for your reply Jim. I looked up Phase Loss Detect in the manual. It talks about the capacitors being stressed. Is that the reason for derating. Also I don't know if it's a typo but the motor I am driving is 2HP.

Yes, that is the reason for derating. Should work fine.

It just means my reading comprehension needs improvement. :cautious: 1.5 KW motor :)

I run the same version of this VFD but the V1000 series on my lathe and mill with a 3 Hp motor on single phase with no problems. You do not want to inactivate the input phase loss, the detection circuits works on THD (ripple noise on the buss) which is increased with single phase. When derated this goes down. I can help you with the drive parameters, both my mill and lathe use the 3 phase input versions of the V1000, both are derated for single phase input. Typically the derating is taking the VFD motor output amps and dividing it by 1.7. The range is 1.5-2.0, but depends on the application and VFD model. Older VFD's the VFD phase loss was not based on THD, so this parameter needed to be turned off if allowed. On newer versions, if turned off, you can damage the drive if overloaded because it no longer detects increases in THD. It also voids the warranty on Yaskawa drives if purchased new.

I would need to know how you plan to control the mill motor specifications and run commands, as this effects how the parameters/inputs are configured. You can send me a message with your email (do not post it here) and I can provide some further guidance.

Attachments

• Yaskawa Vfd derating 3 phase to single phase.pdf
    260.8 KB · Views: 7
Yes, that is the reason for derating. Should work fine.

It just means my reading comprehension needs improvement. :cautious: 1.5 KW motor :)

Thats great! I am currently rebuilding this mill and won't need the VFD for a while. I just wanted to make sure I didn't need to find a different drive.

Thats great! I am currently rebuilding this mill and won't need the VFD for a while. I just wanted to make sure I didn't need to find a different drive.

Follow the advice of @mksj above ^^^^^^^^^

Back