Do I need a backsplash, if so how big?

tmenyc

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Setting up a 1943 Logan 820. Most of my work will be with plastics and ebonite, some metal. Does the 820 actually throw oil behind it? If so how high? My wall is 14" away from the rear of the base tray and 2' from the motor assembly.
Many thanks,

Tim

If you put oil on anything that rotates like a lathe it will throw oil.

If you use cutting oil it will sling it. How far depends on spindle speed and the quantity of oil. It's easy enough to mount something behind the the spindle to contain it. Something freestanding could be moved where needed.

I ran my Atlas/Craftsman 6 x 18 for twenty years without a backsplash and have a 4 ft. long vertical streak on the basement wall to prove it.

IMG_0256.jpg

Here's one I made for my Model 200. It's 12" wide which is adequate though I would probably make it a bit wider if I were to
do it again. It gets oil all over it, but the wall behind it is clean. :)

Last edited:
Create an enclosure if you use flood coolant. This can be simple movable sheet metal panels used where needed.

Funny, my Grizzly G4003G came with a backsplash and I took it off. I go behind my lathe quite frequently and it was in the way. I took the top of a 50 gallon plastic storage container and hung it on the back of my toolbox which is on a workbench behind the lathe. I give it a spritz of 409 now and then. The oil comes right off. As you may have gathered, I'm far from a neat freak!CROSS SLIDE DI MOUNT WIDE.JPG

Last edited:
My 9x20 came with a backsplash shield running the full length of the lathe.
I found that to be too close and extended it a further 12" away. I dont think I would like to have to clean up behind the lathe if I didnt have it.

Back