Do I need a backsplash, if so how big?

I love everything that comes out of this shop. You sir are a craftsman.
Thanks for the compliment, but you're only seeing what went well on my posts (LOL)! I still make lots of mistakes, just getting better at hiding them. Biggest thing I've learned over the years is that if it isn't right, it won't fix itself. It is not a question of "manliness" to admit a mistake and redo something. I still have lots to learn which is one of the reasons I love playing in my shop. I've been blessed with a nice shop budget and a very supportive wife. Life is good.

Bruce

hmm, hadn't considered a backsplash for the logan, but the pegboard wall is only about 2' behind it. going to try running some plastic sheeting from the headstock to the collet holder, held with magnets. long-term, maybe some corrugated plastic sheet on the back of the carriage. don't want to run another welding curtain, as the pegboard needs to be pretty vsible and accessible.

I mounted a 6 ft 1x2 strip at about 1 ft below the ceiling height on the wall behind my lathe.
Then screwed in small cups hooks and hung a shower curtain on them.

Works great.

Heres the left hand side of my splash back on my 9x20
The original it came with is now the back, I made a new curved part to fit over the motor.
splash back lhs.jpg
That plate with the two thumb screws is just a bit of tin on two "T" nuts to stop chips sitting in the slots of the cross slide.

splash back rhs.jpg
and the right hand side, the red arrow is the original fixing that screwed to the end of the lathe bed.

splash back full.jpg
Those two tin plate shields are my attempt at swarf control. The rhs one is held to the headstock with two old hard drive magnets and the lhs one is held onto the saddle with two thumb screws one in the traveling steady hole and a new one drilled and tapped into the front of the saddle.

Savarin, you've inspired me. I need two of each spanner in arm's reach, yet I still fumble through the drawer and fiddle with a 6" adjustable Crescent. Where do you keep your hex keys?

The shelf over the lathe has a front edge so items cannot fall off.
The holders for the tool bits are just bits of aluminium angle screwed to the front of the shelf (three more are sitting on the shelf and I need some more)
Hex keys are on the bench next to the headstock or sitting in the chip tray

Back