Do I need a bigger lathe.

matthewsx

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I picked up this tool post grinder for a very good price recently but I'm not sure if my lathe is big enough for it.

Here is my lathe, it's a Seneca Falls Star 9x5.

It just seems a little beefy for my little tool post but I'm not sure how much force it might put on it and how much would be too much.
Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks,

John

:grin: I would be a bit leery of that set-up , but hey , give it a shot .

Let me get this straight, you are asking a bunch of tool junkies if you need a bigger better tool?
Hehehe, but of course

Who else would I ask? My wife????

Of course, I know the answer to this question, more capability is better. But, my space is limited and I was hoping someone with experience fitting tool post grinders has a minimum size tool that they believe would work with what I've got.

For what I paid it's worth it to keep this grinder until my shop circumstances change and I can go bigger. I also got a bunch of grinding disks and an automatic tapping head in the deal, but that will definitely have to wait until I buy a Bridgeport :)

Thanks for all the responses!!!!

Cheers,

John

I have a die grinder I mounted up to my lathe, no experience with a toolpost grinder. Only thought I can give, the size of your work to the size of your grinding wheels/stones. Add to that weight of the grinder to your lathe and also the stability of your present machine. Thos small vibrations that might not be an issue with your present work will become an issue with a grinder.

I'd still do it if I were you, mount it and see what you can do with it. It might have limited use for may things or be completely useable for your needs.

Hth
Have fun!

Back