Do I Need A Snap Ring?

Nogoingback

Registered
Registered
I plan on making an idler pulley for my belt sander which will have a bearing pressed into it. OD of the pulley is about 2.125", with
a bore of 1.573". Width is a bit over an inch. I planned on an interference fit of .001". So, do I need to secure it with a snap ring,
or will the press fit suffice to keep the pulley in place on the bearing?

With .001" interference, you shouldn't need a snap ring. You might want to consider how you would remove and replace the bearing should it fail. With that much interference, you will have to press it out. This can be done if the shoulder wall is narrow enough to be able to press on the outer race. Using a light interference fit or tight slip fit and the snaqp ring would make replacement easier.

The back side of the pulley will be open, so it I had to press it out I could do it, though it would be on the inner race,
which I know would finish the bearing. I wouldn't mind using a snap ring, but I don't have a turning tool suitable
for making the groove, so that would add to the cost. Of course, if I couldn't get the bearing out, I could just turn
another pulley. :)

Bore the hole thru and press the bearing in . Its an idler . If and when the bearing goes up , press it out on the outer race and replace the bearing

Grab any hss steel you have. Even a drill bit. Grind away and make your snap ring grooving tool. Measure width and grind it like a parting tool. Your not going in too deep here so even .100" stickout on your tool is more than enough for a snap ring groove.

I thought about making a tool, though because the snap ring would be inside the pulley, the grinding would be a bit trickier.
But, it sounds like pressing the bearing in will be enough. If I feel ambitious, I might have a go at it anyway. :)

You l be fine with the press fit. The snap ring Really isn t called for in this application.

Suggest that you check the recommendations of the bearing manufacturers for proper bearing fits. You wouldn't want to negatively affect the bearing internal clearance by having it too tight, either on the bore or the outer race. That could easily cause the bearing to run hot and fail.

Suggest that you check the recommendations of the bearing manufacturers for proper bearing fits. You wouldn't want to negatively affect the bearing internal clearance by having it too tight, either on the bore or the outer race. That could easily cause the bearing to run hot and fail.

Took your advice and came up with .0005 for the interference fit. Had to make the part twice since I didn't have a good way to measure
the ID properly and the first one came out oversize. Bought a better tool, and this one came out on the money with a nice light press
fit with the arbor press.

IMG_0277.jpg

Back