[4]

Do I need a surface grinder?

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

8mpg

Registered
Well, theres an opportunity to pick up an Okamoto surface grinder for pretty darn cheap. Im going to look at it Moday. Its the same place I bought my lathe. Im new into machining and not sure if I can/will use a surface grinder, but it seems like a deal. Here is a pic and it should be under $500. Any thoughts?
1541693734711.png

rgray

Active User
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
Very handy machine to have. Definitely pick it up if you have the room. Looks like a good one.
I have found lots of uses for one. There are plenty of attachments that would be nice to have so ask about tooling etc for it also.

Richard King 2

Master Machine Tool Rebuilder & Instructor
H-M Supporter - Commercial Member
If I could buy a Okamota grinder that size for $500.00 I would buy it. I like to grind things and it would be real handy for grinding my cast iron straightedges. Make sure it has a magnetic chuck with it. It us useless with out one. You can buy them, but one that size new would be 2000.00 I bet. Bet sure to get the hydraulic and coolant tanks too. Grab all the grinding wheels, wheel flanges and diamond dressers they have.

8mpg

Registered
Thats the problem. All the people that work there have no idea how these machines work. LOL.. they say the "old timers" have all left and all they run in CNC now a days.

Richard King 2

They are easy to run, if everything is there. Go to You Tube and search Okamota Grinder NYC CNC and john sanders has a good one on them.

Cadillac

Registered
I’d be all over it. Okamota’s are well built machines. On the top end of grinders. Since I’ve gotten a SG that’s the only finish I like now. Very useful tool to have if you have the room. You can sell it for more than 500 probably double that with a little cleanup.

benmychree

John York
I'd buy nearly every machine that I had room for, problem is, I have no more room ---

Cooter Brown

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
BUY IT NOW BEFORE IT GETS AWAY!!! :cool:

Eddyde

Bronze
Registered
Buy it or else!

By "or else" I mean, if you don't buy it, you'll probably regret it for years to come...

Cooter Brown

Jump on it right now

Ulma Doctor

Infinitely Curious
if you intend to do any precision work, a surface grinder is going to be a friend to you.
if you don't have 3 phase power, be ready to spend some money getting around that problem
you can make an RPC, or you can use a VFD to make 3 phase power for operating the grinder too

but get it if you have any interest, the size is great and the potential is limitless

Dan_S

Active User
Registered
Make sure you look it over really well before buying it. $500 seems way to cheap for a machine of that size.

Richard King 2

If you buy it and move it. put a 4 x 4 and some 2 x 4 (so wheel doesn't hit on the chuck and rest the spindle head on the wood. This will help hold everything together. Crank saddle back as close to the column too beforehand.

8mpg

Registered
Dan - they are just getting rid of all their manual equipment. Its been sitting for years.

Richard - thank you for the advice.

MarkM

Oh yea! That s a gift at that price. They are such a great tool for finish and accuracy and open alot of doors for you with tooling. So nice to be able modify your tools with the utmost accuracy even as simple as a back rake to a lathe tool for example.
I feel a surface grinder is staple machine like a lathe and a mill. Really at 500$ and probably in good shape. Grab it!

NCjeeper

A good working surface grinder for 500 bucks is a deal.

JimDawson

Global Moderator
Staff member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
''Do I need a surface grinder?'' If you don't have a surface grinder, then, YES, you need a surface grinder. :grin:

That looks like a deal.

NortonDommi

Registered
Where is this magical place that has such wonders at such prices?

Jubil

Looks like a really good deal. Might check voltage though. If it's 230 volt, no problem. If it's 440/480 (used a lot in industrial shops) that could be a problem. Most electric motors can be rewired for voltage. If I remember correctly sometimes the switch gear is not convertible. I am not an electrician by no means, but I'm sure someone on here can help.
By the way, YES you need a surface grinder. It's a tool. You can make small pieces out of bigger ones.
Chuck

Cooter Brown

Where is it at? If you're not going buy it then I'm heading down to Texas.....

Doubleeboy

Active User
Registered
If you get that machine be aware that it is most likely a roller way machine. You can ruin those very spendy bearings by moving machine if you do not block table up with plastic spacers first. Its easy to do, but most folks don't know or care to do so. In good shape that machine is worth many thousands of dollars, don't screw it up with a poor moving plan.

Bob Korves

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
If you get that machine be aware that it is most likely a roller way machine. You can ruin those very spendy bearings by moving machine if you do not block table up with plastic spacers first. Its easy to do, but most folks don't know or care to do so. In good shape that machine is worth many thousands of dollars, don't screw it up with a poor moving plan.
Good advice. Also block up the spindle and back off the lead screw pressure before moving it, to keep the lead screw from being damaged. It is often a simple matter to lift the table off the machine and transport it separately. The table is often not secured to the base at all, just gravity holding it there. If you don't do these things, the machine can be ruined as doubleeboy says. The table might also be somewhere along the side of the road you drove to bring it home. Understand how it works, ponder what can go wrong with it, and make appropriate plans to get it home in one piece, undamaged.

8mpg

Registered
Thanks for the advice guys. I dunno where I read this thing only weighed 1500lbs but I just found out its 5,000lbs. Im going to have to find a rigger if I get this thing. They don't have a forklift big enough to lift it. I'll let all of you guys know about the equipment that's for sale as soon as I figure out what all Im buying. Pricing is good to clear out their shop for more CNC.

I may buy their Cincinati Monoset Tool grinder too

NCjeeper

Wow sure doesn't look like 5000 pounds of metal there.

JimDawson

Global Moderator
Staff member
That looks like about a 12 x 36 grinder, so yeah, I could see 5000 lbs there. My 6 x 18 DoAll is pushing about 3500.

emtor

Registered
-Why do you even ask? -Go get it!

ThinWoodsman

Registered
need (v): To require in order to survive, sleep at night, look oneself in the eye while shaving, show up one's peers, or just because.

yup, sounds like you need it

Dan_S

Active User
Registered
That looks like about a 12 x 36 grinder, so yeah, I could see 5000 lbs there. My 6 x 18 DoAll is pushing about 3500.
Yea, that's why I was saying to check it out thoroughly because $500 is imo to cheap for a grinder of that stature.

Dabbler

Administrator Trainee
Staff member
even at $2000 it would be a gift. very well worth the rigging cost.

[6]
[5] [7]