Do I need a surface grinder?

8mpg

Registered
Registered
Well, theres an opportunity to pick up an Okamoto surface grinder for pretty darn cheap. Im going to look at it Moday. Its the same place I bought my lathe. Im new into machining and not sure if I can/will use a surface grinder, but it seems like a deal. Here is a pic and it should be under $500. Any thoughts?
1541693734711.png

Very handy machine to have. Definitely pick it up if you have the room. Looks like a good one.
I have found lots of uses for one. There are plenty of attachments that would be nice to have so ask about tooling etc for it also.

If I could buy a Okamota grinder that size for $500.00 I would buy it. I like to grind things and it would be real handy for grinding my cast iron straightedges. Make sure it has a magnetic chuck with it. It us useless with out one. You can buy them, but one that size new would be 2000.00 I bet. Bet sure to get the hydraulic and coolant tanks too. Grab all the grinding wheels, wheel flanges and diamond dressers they have.

Thats the problem. All the people that work there have no idea how these machines work. LOL.. they say the "old timers" have all left and all they run in CNC now a days.

They are easy to run, if everything is there. Go to You Tube and search Okamota Grinder NYC CNC and john sanders has a good one on them.

I’d be all over it. Okamota’s are well built machines. On the top end of grinders. Since I’ve gotten a SG that’s the only finish I like now. Very useful tool to have if you have the room. You can sell it for more than 500 probably double that with a little cleanup.

Buy it or else!

By "or else" I mean, if you don't buy it, you'll probably regret it for years to come...

Back