Do I need a surface grinder?

if you intend to do any precision work, a surface grinder is going to be a friend to you.
if you don't have 3 phase power, be ready to spend some money getting around that problem
you can make an RPC, or you can use a VFD to make 3 phase power for operating the grinder too

but get it if you have any interest, the size is great and the potential is limitless

Make sure you look it over really well before buying it. $500 seems way to cheap for a machine of that size.

If you buy it and move it. put a 4 x 4 and some 2 x 4 (so wheel doesn't hit on the chuck and rest the spindle head on the wood. This will help hold everything together. Crank saddle back as close to the column too beforehand.

Dan - they are just getting rid of all their manual equipment. Its been sitting for years.

Richard - thank you for the advice.

Oh yea! That s a gift at that price. They are such a great tool for finish and accuracy and open alot of doors for you with tooling. So nice to be able modify your tools with the utmost accuracy even as simple as a back rake to a lathe tool for example.
I feel a surface grinder is staple machine like a lathe and a mill. Really at 500$ and probably in good shape. Grab it!

A good working surface grinder for 500 bucks is a deal.

''Do I need a surface grinder?'' If you don't have a surface grinder, then, YES, you need a surface grinder. :grin:

That looks like a deal.

Looks like a really good deal. Might check voltage though. If it's 230 volt, no problem. If it's 440/480 (used a lot in industrial shops) that could be a problem. Most electric motors can be rewired for voltage. If I remember correctly sometimes the switch gear is not convertible. I am not an electrician by no means, but I'm sure someone on here can help.
By the way, YES you need a surface grinder. It's a tool. You can make small pieces out of bigger ones.
Chuck

Back