Do I need a surface grinder?

Where is it at? If you're not going buy it then I'm heading down to Texas.....

If you get that machine be aware that it is most likely a roller way machine. You can ruin those very spendy bearings by moving machine if you do not block table up with plastic spacers first. Its easy to do, but most folks don't know or care to do so. In good shape that machine is worth many thousands of dollars, don't screw it up with a poor moving plan.

If you get that machine be aware that it is most likely a roller way machine. You can ruin those very spendy bearings by moving machine if you do not block table up with plastic spacers first. Its easy to do, but most folks don't know or care to do so. In good shape that machine is worth many thousands of dollars, don't screw it up with a poor moving plan.
Good advice. Also block up the spindle and back off the lead screw pressure before moving it, to keep the lead screw from being damaged. It is often a simple matter to lift the table off the machine and transport it separately. The table is often not secured to the base at all, just gravity holding it there. If you don't do these things, the machine can be ruined as doubleeboy says. The table might also be somewhere along the side of the road you drove to bring it home. Understand how it works, ponder what can go wrong with it, and make appropriate plans to get it home in one piece, undamaged.

Thanks for the advice guys. I dunno where I read this thing only weighed 1500lbs but I just found out its 5,000lbs. Im going to have to find a rigger if I get this thing. They don't have a forklift big enough to lift it. I'll let all of you guys know about the equipment that's for sale as soon as I figure out what all Im buying. Pricing is good to clear out their shop for more CNC.

I may buy their Cincinati Monoset Tool grinder too

Wow sure doesn't look like 5000 pounds of metal there.

That looks like about a 12 x 36 grinder, so yeah, I could see 5000 lbs there. My 6 x 18 DoAll is pushing about 3500.

need (v): To require in order to survive, sleep at night, look oneself in the eye while shaving, show up one's peers, or just because.

yup, sounds like you need it

That looks like about a 12 x 36 grinder, so yeah, I could see 5000 lbs there. My 6 x 18 DoAll is pushing about 3500.

Yea, that's why I was saying to check it out thoroughly because $500 is imo to cheap for a grinder of that stature.

even at $2000 it would be a gift. very well worth the rigging cost.

Back