Do these look like center-cutting end mills to you?

j ferguson

Active User
Registered
These cutters are pretty sharp HSS. I bought them after discovering that non-center cutting end mills don't plunge well. They were advertised as centercutting, but I had thought there would be more creativity in ends the better to cut all the way across the diameter and eject chips. What do you think?

square-ends.JPG

These cutters are pretty sharp HSS. I bought them after discovering that non-center cutting end mills don't plunge well. They were advertised as centercutting, but I had thought there would be more creativity in ends the better to cut all the way across the diameter and eject chips. What do you think?
They look like center cutting to me

Yes , they are center cutting endmills . Why they don't seem to cut right is due to CSS . The center of your mills are basically sitting still while the OD might be running at your desired surface speed . If you ever run some larger indexable drills , your inserts would be different as your diameter changed . We ran up to 6" Valenites and had HSS inserts in the middle and coated carbide grade on the outer inserts .

thanks guys, I haven't tried them yet. I guess I expected them to look a lot different from the non-center cutting I already had.

Ied make them work, let us know how they work out .

Back