Do they make bench grinders that don't vibrate so much?

Ken from ontario

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
I just hate using my King(HF quality) bench grinder , It vibrates way way too much,if I don't clamp that thing ,it'll walk itself off the bench in a minute.
When I worked in a metal/machine shop many years ago we used to have this small bench grinder that was so well balanced and ever so quiet, that you'd have to feel it to see if it was running,I often forget to turn it off and hours later was still in the same spot ,still humming away, also had two beefy tool rests. that bench grinder and it's whisper quiet motor has been the only one that I liked and compare all others with.
I don't think I'll ever find one like it in the used market.

I hat to say it but quality on a lot of stuff is gone. Tray running it with the wheels off. See how bad it is. May need to balance the internals.
if it runs smooth with wheels off, Need to balance the wheels. Most wheels I have seen that were not older wheels need balancing in some way. I would swear that they use to come from the dealer more balanced than you get now days.

First off, see if you can true up the wheels. I don't mean dress them. That might help. You need to do that with new wheels any way. I also hate chasing grinders around the shop. The problem could be the quality of the wheels or the balance of the motor. If it's the latter , you have boat anchor.

I bumped in to Roy, at a trade show. He had been my millwright partner when we built the Gold River paper mill. An exhibitor offered a free draw for bench grinder. I said no thanks, Roy was more to the point, "If I won, what would I do with it?"

I picked up used a Wissota 7" and Baldor 8", both took bearings and new wheels. . But my favourite is Veil 1"x42" sander/grinder I got from Lee Valley.

I am sure that "they" do, but not in China; I got one second hand, and yes it shook something awful. First, I bought new American made wheels, better, but it still shook; the cause was determined to be the wheels wobbling due to the inner washers having no bearing on the shaft to speak of, just seating on a narrow step in the shaft (the vibration was caused by the wheels wobbling on the shaft side to side). I made new flanges with a long bearing on the shaft, and seating against the motor's bearings; this effected a considerable improvement, but still not nearly as good as my Delta pedestal grinder, which runs perfectly smooth. You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

The problem my grinder has is ,it was cheaply built,believe me I've tried everything, like running it without wheels, different better quality wheels, buffing pads,it's just one of those "built on friday afternoon "cases, do you guys remember the late 60s and 70s Sears craftsman grinders? they weren't that expensive then but they were much quieter/ better balanced than what you pay for $75/ to $100 nowadays.

If you google this there are pages and pages of people going through the same thing. I also had old grinders in all the shops I was ever in and never seemed to notice this. But they all had wheels on them that were probably original.

Sorry you seem to have a dud. I thought my new 8" Ryobi was a dud and impossible to get to run right too. Part of it were the pressed badly hubs, so I made new ones on the lathe and got rid of the slight wobble. Helped a little. Went to Norton wheels, but they were just as bad as the ones that came with it. Out of round and out of balance. Was just about to go off the deep end and then found this:
https://www.amazon.com/Oneway-2272-...007RPOE4E/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Yeah, at $80 it's about what I paid for the grinder, but better the devil I know, so I went for it. Ended up doing some mod's like soaking the bearings on the balancing stand to take most of the grease out of them so there was next to no resistance. And one wheel(the fine grit) was so out of balance I added another washer. But voilà! runs smooth as silk and has stayed that way now for almost 2yrs! I'm a happy camper. NFI, but I wish I'd come up with it as its a very nice rig.

Sears craftsman grinders
I have a Craftsman, and it is smooth, Have another type and it was bad, took wheels off and use it for light buffing, and when I put the buffing wheels on it also ran smooth. but not as smooth as the craftsman that came from my father in law after he passed. Have a couple of others that I have not even looked at yet, Then have a HF, do not know why.

I made an inner washer and outer 4" diameter balancer for both ends. Outer has 20 .375" holes aound the outside And I use bolts to acheive balance. Shown here with the wheel covers removed. With a little trial and error the grinder is smooth as can be.

i-cJmfPZ2-L.jpg

i-5rQ9wSv-L.jpg

I thought my new 8" Ryobi was a dud and impossible to get to run right too. Part of it were the pressed badly hubs, so I made new ones on the lathe and got rid of the slight wobble.
I made an inner washer and outer 4" diameter balancer for both ends.
Maybe I should spend a little more time with my grinder like you guys, have to say I never rebuild the hub or tried to balance the wheels so thanks for the encouragement.

Back