Do they make bench grinders that don't vibrate so much?

I have come to the conclusion that its a total hit and miss affair irrespective of where the product was manufactured.
I have some top range motors that run smooth and some vibrate like hell.
I also have some ultra cheap motors that are as smooth as silk, mind you some of them are impossible to use.
The modern creed of greed has reduced the checking of all items these days to "Can we get away with that" Ah do it any way and we can exchange it if theres a complaint.
The act of complaining is a huge drawn out affair that a lot of people give up in the end.

The modern creed of greed has reduced the checking of all items these days to "Can we get away with that" Ah do it any way and we can exchange it if theres a complaint.
The act of complaining is a huge drawn out affair that a lot of people give up in the end.

Too sad but true!

I also have some ultra cheap motors that are as smooth as silk, mind you some of them are impossible to use.
The modern creed of greed has reduced the checking of all items these days to "Can we get away with that"
Ah do it any way and we can exchange it if there's a complaint.
That's the point I was trying to underscore, even the run of the mill grinders of theolerdays that were considered "lower end " performed smoother and quieter , they also had correctly labeled horsepower. I'm not even sure if we can find a comparable quality or performance for home /hobby use market ,even at a higher price.

I have come to the conclusion that its a total hit and miss affair irrespective of where the product was manufactured.
I have some top range motors that run smooth and some vibrate like hell.

So true! Ad to this the robo "customer service" lines everybody has and it's just another layer of isolation from the customer that they hope you'll just give up and go away.

I forgot to mention I had taken the first grinder back to Home Depot. They didn't have another and I had to go 45min away to get another. All I could do was spin the wheels and sight along them and it looked better than the one I took back. When I got it home it was a little better, but still totally scary. And it was all the wheels, not the grinders fault.

No difference between the Norton and the Chinese wheels.

I do feel cheezy taking something back. I'd never had to take anything back before. I've had to take a couple of HFTools back recently because their prices have gone up on some stuff as they have crushed the other manufacturers and the more expensive tool was not as advertised.

I've got a Rikon 8" grinder, I just got it set up last week.

Right out of the box it runs quiet and smooth, just a low hum. I bolted it to the bench but initially could only get the wing nuts on tight enough to hold it down in case of massive failure. Probably a 1/2" of open threads until I ground the ears of the wing nuts down. It made no effort to jump around and I'm pretty sure it would stay put without any assistance. It is solidly built weighing 54lbs. A Dewalt 8" grinder only weighs 39 lbs.

It is this one.

https://www.rikontools.com/product/80-808

Runs around $220 from most vendors, I found one on ebay for $215 with free shipping, but not seeing any on there at the moment. It is made in China but good quality and has a 5 year warranty.

Several here on the site pointed me to this grinder and I think it was an excellent suggestion.

Last edited:
Back