Do you clean before you create?

Jeff it hasn't taken long for you to fill up your shop with tools. You should be very busy when you retire. Nice shop. Your clean habits probably stem from having to have a top notch dealership open to the public.

Very familiar!!!

Chuck

When I had my shop and even more now with living on the boat, cleaning is a must. The smaller the space, the more critical it is. I hate to work in clutter. I don't know how some people can do quality work in a pig sty.

When I pulled wrenches on heavy equipment and truck for a living, many years ago, I use to clean up after every job. My foreman came up and said that we don't have time to do that. I asked do we have time to waste working around it? After all, it was part of the job I just did and should be included. I could reach up from under a truck, open a drawer in my tool box and grab the right wrench without seeing it. I could do this because I put everything back where it belonged. Nothing worse than having to crawl out from under a truck, find a tool and back under 20 times during a job.

Use to sweep up the bay after each also, that way the creeper could roll under the next job without getting caught up in the dirt and debris left from the previous job.

@Janderso My compliments on your shop and the tool inventory I can see in the pictures. One thing good from the fire, you were able to buy new tools. Amazing how fast 400 sqft fills up.

Last edited:
Too many toys for one boy to play with at once :cupcake:
I like your Grizzly bending brake- I wish I had room for one of those- how do you like it?
-Mark
So far it's awesome. It was one of those Black Friday purchases.
After the initial round of cleaning and adjusting I found it to be a sweet machine.
20 gauge is the maximum thickness but that's OK. 20 gauge is stout enough for most of my sheet metal projects.

As for cleaning. I tend be in the middle. I mostly have a clean-sh shop. I do a good job of keeping tools put up after use but not as good of a job of storing intermediate assemblies and parts. I tend to have a "cleaning day" every month or so and as a result usually do not need to clear off space to start a new project (usually). Having said all this, my shop is NEVER as clean as the Clean shops I see pictures of.

I try to do one project at a time. After completed, then spend a day clean up. Well. I try. Usually, halfway through a project, realize that I have to make a jig, or order something, or a honey do. :distracted: Still having fun, though. :excitement:

Back