Do you clean before you create?

I make it sound like my shop is a mess. It's really not that bad. The top of my tool box gets kind of messy periodically but the rest of the shop just gets congested with stuff as I do more projects outside and not spending any time in the shop.

I don't seem to have a many photos of the shop. Here is one just for kicks and grins.

Attachments

• 20200718_125504_copy_763x1612.jpg
    20200718_125504_copy_763x1612.jpg
    380.3 KB · Views: 42
I try and keep my shop clean but it seems that on certain days it is a losing battle. With a woodshop and the metalworking side, there is always a project in some phase of non-completion. After my brain injury this summer I discovered that it was nearly an absolute to return a tool to its proper place, lest I completely forget where I had placed it.
I also find that the more projects that I have "open", the higher my stress level. The more stuff I have scattered around, the higher my anxiety. It behooves me to try and keep it clean.
Some level of acceptance is required though, otherwise it no longer becomes enjoyable.

I am incapable of working tidily. I detest cleaning up after a job it wastes so much time before you can start the next one.
I put it down to always having flunkies to do that work for me in the past so I never learnt to tidy up.
Not having a flunky any more my shop is a mess.
I am trying to get this new one organised from the start but so far its not looking promising.:bawling:

One of my best most productive techs is a slob. His workbench is a stack of tools.
This morning I walked by his stall, the floor had been swept and mopped by our janitor, his Tools were put away.
I said, what’s going on? I’m waiting for my 9:00. It was 10:30. He had a break in the action.
It happens this time of year.

I am incapable of working tidily. I detest cleaning up after a job it wastes so much time before you can start the next one.
I put it down to always having flunkies to do that work for me in the past so I never learnt to tidy up.
Not having a flunky any more my shop is a mess.

I am trying to get this new one organised from the start but so far its not looking promising.:bawling:

Last edited:
I'm sorry.. Probably a "wee" bit outta line there..

My brain geo-tags and catalogs the last location of anything I touch in the shop (house, closet, etc.) and retains it for sometimes years. The problem is when someone else (wife, curious friends, etc.) touches something and puts it down six inches from where it was when they picked it up. Then it's game over, I won't be able to locate it. Eventually I'll have enough hooks, pegs, and drawers to keep the horizontal surfaces clear, but that's an ongoing project that spans the decades.

I used to be able tp find things like you do. Since I hired a very good friend to assist me that skill has vanished. He loves to layer things instead of leaving them visible. He is great for cleaning machines and floor sweeping though.

Back