Do you ever argue with your spouse.

Man that’s tuff we’re not in that scenario. One thing I can say only being married for 7yrs is it’s compromises. I have many hobbies I can be busy 247 on all types of stuff. My wife not so. She is self employed and does great but after her fourty she does nothing to relieve herself of day to day. Really no friends other than sons friends moms. I have friends I talk to since high school and hang with.she makes comments about being in the garage every chance I can get. But I fix ALL things that need it from cars to house repairs to her business machines. She does realize that the magic starts with me and I need the time to do it. I will say that a “happy wife is a happy life” and it is so true!
It sounds like a lot of stress with the fire and relocation which is fully understandable. Maybe take some time and talk to her about her needs and wishes and see what you can do for her. Then go in the shop;) good luck

We lost our Florida place to Irma last year. Not same situation as you by any means, but lead to frayed nerves, arguments, misunderstanding, lost friends and money. But the experience has brought us new friends, strengthened our community and offered us a chance to downsize. 18 Months later, a new normal has been established and our relationship and that of neighbors has much improved.

For me loss of "stuff" was an opportunity to get new stuff. For my wife, it was much more personal, more akin to loss of a pet or a friend. She still cries. Your wife may not bounce back as quickly as you and replacement "stuff" wont replace the other lost "stuff" which she make take very personally.

I wish you and wife peace and understanding during one of the most difficult situations one will encounter.

I’m listening to Willie Nelson right now. “It’s not something you get over, but it’s something you get through “.
Good job Willie.
Good news,
I took the Honda generator and an angle grinder, cut the side out of the fire safe.
We have our Passports, marriage license, birth Certificates, jewelry, old pictures, diplomas and Morgan’s.
We lost negatives and flash drives.
The shop did not work out. Maybe the next one.
We did look at a 100 year old house, it had a 1,012 square feet with a Mother in law house. Big lot!
Only $449,000.
It’s worth about $320,000.
I’ll pass.FCAFDCF4-0082-4B51-8929-1766B8B66AFA.jpegE5D7D173-4724-4945-958A-F6F09F76BE12.jpeg84D83C50-6751-4F5D-90A7-9058F5770D2F.jpeg

there is no handbook outlining the proper etiquette on how to act when your life gets flipped upside down.
It seems to me that you and your wife have weathered this better than many, it not most, would. MOST CERTAINLY BETTER THAN ME AND MINE:faint:
a new normal has been established
And that is the foundation of your life going forward. You set a fine example for those less challenged:grin:

At 41 years of marriage, we don't call it arguing, we call it reliving old disagreements. Love in a marriage conquers all obstacles, because you get to go through it together.
Understanding what she is "really" saying is the key.
Being safe and secure in a home and a husband are the two most important things- I make sure my wife has those two.

I never argue with my spouse -- never married!

I must admit however, that at 68 years old, my SO and I are planning to get married... It is OK, I have known her for more than 35 years, and I know exactly what I am getting into.

Changing the context can change the game. Look at the initial post again.

Maybe take some time and talk to her about her needs and wishes and see what you can do for her. Then go in the shop;) good luck

Wise words Cadilac.

Janderso, The strengths and weaknesses of a relationship show up when it is tested. You have lost a lot but not each other. Reaffirm that you both want to be together in rebuilding (if you do want that) and agree on what you are rebuilding and how. You need each other more than ever now. Give each other space but stay in touch and share your feelings. Look to the long run and things will work out for the best. Meanwhile let your behaviour be attractive for her.

In the 52 years since she chose me I could never be happy if she wasn't. It turned out to be reciprocal. It was not always easy but it was not always easy for her either.

Last edited:
Back