Do You Have A Creative Mind? I Don't!

Jeff , I played the Tenor up into 7 grade , then dropped it and got into sports . I have a King Super 20 Tenor sitting upstairs in the attic that I am the original owner of . :big grin:

like most jobs the real money is in managing people which has a way of sucking the fun out of everything.
How this relates to a creative mind, I am not sure. I am, however, quite sure of the truth of this statement. Sorry, Jeff. Hijack over:cautious:

Well I found Bozo in my shop.
I got the boring bar set up with my freshly ground 60 degree HSS tool, centered the bit with a negative rake on center.
found zero on the cross slide, the compound is set to 29.5 degrees but I fed with the cross slide.
Made my first inside out pass and all was well with the world.
Backed out so I could plunge in for another pass, took another .005", perfect.
On the third pass I missed my mark on the thread dial.
Now that I screwed up my part I continued to practice the technique.
I don't know why I missed it, I put a little pressure when I am very close to my mark and it pops right in, smooth as glass.
It happened again while practicing.
I learned a lot.
I'll bore this out and try again later.
tpi 6.JPGtpi.JPG I must say, there is no stress because I can't crash moving away from the head stock.

SUCCESS!!!

I did it. I changed to 10 Tpi.
This has been a confidence building endeavor.
I learned quite a bit as well.

Attachments

• E912B41C-6EAB-4EAF-95B7-2CEEBAB7A478.jpeg
    E912B41C-6EAB-4EAF-95B7-2CEEBAB7A478.jpeg
    614.8 KB · Views: 8
  • EC3AF701-B946-41FD-9F76-01F0085C6BD9.jpeg
    EC3AF701-B946-41FD-9F76-01F0085C6BD9.jpeg
    604.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 6D6FB319-48CE-460B-B0AA-3423EBA1DE93.jpeg
    6D6FB319-48CE-460B-B0AA-3423EBA1DE93.jpeg
    650.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 6DFCB133-E929-4F4F-8C09-DEF092C2785E.jpeg
    6DFCB133-E929-4F4F-8C09-DEF092C2785E.jpeg
    614.6 KB · Views: 7
Show me a pic of your shop or junk pile or whatever and I'll give you some ideas for projects. I must think of at least 10 new projects every week but of course only a few get started and only a few of them get finished.
Aaron

It dawns on me the major difference is I have mostly a shop full of used HF stuff that I either have to fix or modify. And because it's not nice old iron I don't feel bad about modding what I'd like to change to fit what I'm doing.

Just yesterday as I was using my 4x6 bandsaw as I was having to change angles all the time to do mitre cuts it was all I could do to not stop and start fabbing a t-nut for the vise to replace the silly regular nut that you have to have wrenches for top and bottom. It is definitely on the endless list!

Regarding creativity, my firm belief is that people who boast about their creativity are generally way overshooting, and people who are most creative don't really think they are.

This opinion is formed after 50 years of managing high technology development teams, where there were plenty of creative ideas along with even more bad ones.

Creative can mean very different things to different people. Being a design engineer I am always designing mechanical things. I design machinery, beauty is in the proper function. All of my artistic ability's can be put into a thimble...

"Creativity" isn't necessarily artistic, you can be creating anything that didn't exist before, be it a painting, a symphony, a poem... or a machine. I'm a design engineer, too... I have a friend who's an artist, a painter of some note. One day I happened to be looking at his website, where he has a blog where he was describing the process of creating a particular painting. He was talking about what he wanted it to look like overall, and the process of arranging the shapes, the colors, their relationship, etc... it struck me that it's the exact same thing I do designing a new machine, having an overall concept, designing and arranging the components, making them work together, etc. Next time I saw him I told him about it, he was blown away. Like many people he always thought of engineering as dry boring number crunching (and I guess it can be that, too, if you are, say, a structural analysis engineer or a quality assurance engineer, but that's not me), he never imagined it could be just as creative a profession as fine arts.

I've always said that Enzo Ferrari was an artist whose medium wasn't paint or music but automobiles. And some of the toolmakers I work with in my day job are extremely creative, making all sorts of fixtures and mechanisms with no drawings, just an idea.

Back