Do you have a question on rebuilding I could help you with?

That is what I thought the answer might be. So I am going to see if I can get a piece of cast iron somewhere. Thanks for your input Bob. Always like reading your inputs,always informative. Guess it comes with experience.

Let's get an answer from Richard and others. I am no expert, to say the least... Just first to hit the post button.

Bob do you perhaps know from wich country my mill is?I searched before, but could not find anything really.

Hi, sorry for the delay. I would go with cast iron also as a first choice. If you were in the states I would say contact Dura-Bar in Woodstock IL. Seeing your in South Africa and it maybe difficult to find pre cast -cast iron I would settle with what you can find. You understand that milling on a machine like that is "lightweight" even without a riser and depending on the thickness you use, it will be less. I have used Cast Iron plate to rise Fellows gear shapers and I mill out the center to lighten the riser. If your only drilling holes and light milling I would think Aluminum would work. If your planing on milling steel then I would use cast iron. It looks like a Chinese or Taiwanese machine. Look at the motor and see if it says. Rich

Thank you Rich. I do some heavy milling sometimes so I will go with the cast iron or leave it as is. Thanks for the tip,I will check and see if there is something on the motor.

Shortening up your tooling helps a lot, and you can also mount work directly to the table, gaining some headroom by getting the vise out of the equation.

Back