Do you have an "odd leg" caliper?

HMF

Site Founder
Administrator
Do you find this tool useful to own?

What types of things do you use it for?

Thanks,

Nelson

Sometimes the old timers called them "morphy" calipers. I have a few. If you notice,most old machinist's dividers have 1 leg longer than the other,to enable them to also do what morphy calipers do.

Re: Do you have an "odd leg" caliper?

Some times they are called "Jenny" calipers usually in England.Of course i hope we are talking about
the same item.I use mine for marking distances from an edge,especially for sheet metal work.
I also have seen them described as "hermaphrodite calipers". Another use is to find the center
of a round piece by the three,or four,arcs method
Having only one comment to the thread for two years,looks like the tool is relatively unknown,
or otherwise unpopular.
Ariscats

Most machinists now days do very little "layout work" as they used to do many years ago.

Same thing with using surface gages. Most don't know what one is, just like the "odd leg" caliper.

We gotten used to modern conveniences of today that don't use tools of the past!

You mean these?? I use them all the time. These are Starrett, they can be used both ways. The odd leg can be rotated 180 degrees to get two straight legs. Very versatile tool.

"Billy G"

102_1246 (650 x 488).jpg

Sometimes the old timers called them "morphy" calipers. I have a few. If you notice,most old machinist's dividers have 1 leg longer than the other,to enable them to also do what morphy calipers do.
I can absolutely tell you what the "OLD TIME" Machinist called them
They are hermaphrodites we call them morphadites.
They are half caliper and half scriber for marking the distance from an edge in. When I say we call them it's because I am an old time machinist
having over 70 years experience

Here's another Starrett version from my wife's grandfather's toolbox.
This one has an adjustable length scribe.
It also has a "fine tuning" knob to adjust the distance - just a conical thumbscrew running against a small cone on the arm.
The patent date is 1895.

IMG_2601.JPGIMG_2595.JPGIMG_2598.JPG

Terry S.

IMG_2601.JPG IMG_2595.JPG IMG_2598.JPG

Well, I guess I'm an old geezer too because my 2-3 sets of "Old-time" calipers are used on a daily basis. I'm 53... Uh oh, what's going to happen when I get more experience :).

I can absolutely tell you what the "OLD TIME" Machinist called them
They are hermaphrodites we call them morphadites.
They are half caliper and half scriber for marking the distance from an edge in. When I say we call them it's because I am an old time machinist
having over 70 years experience

Well, I guess I'm an old geezer too because my 2-3 sets of "Old-time" calipers are used on a daily basis. I'm 53... Uh oh, what's going to happen when I get more experience :).

I know what is going to happen because i am 67 but i will not tell you.It is a
secret between us old timers. LOL.

To all that responded: It looks like my post stirred something about "morphs".
Thank you all especially for the fine photos.
Ariscats

If the word"Hermaphrodite" sounds Greek to you you are absolutely right.
The word comes from the name Hermes (Mercury in Latin and English) and the name Aphrodite
(Venus). It is an attempt to point that this calipers is not a pair but something of
a mixed genre,male and female at the same time,besides representing two of the
most beautiful Gods in mythology.

Ariscats

Back