Do You Machine Polymers?

rleete

Registered
Registered
I've made bushings out of kynar and delrin. I made an entire finger engine out of PVC. I made a HMEM simple engine mostly out of PVC with some polyproplyene thrown in for good measure.

Other than that, never used the stuff.

I've made quite a few items out of High Molecular Weight Polyethylene. It machines well and is fairly abrasion and friction resistant. Cuts, drills, taps well, but won't sand and forget about gluing.

ABS is good when you want to weld pieces together. Just cut to size, position the parts and flow a bit of methylene chloride into the joint. Give it a bit of time to set up and you're done.

Methylene chloride also works well with acrylic (Plexiglas) and polycarbonate (Lexan).

Mike

Last edited:
Whyemier,
If the green stuff you are talking about is kinda slippery it could be UHMW, which is good for wear surfaces. I used that stuff in steel mills for wear surfaces. It could be nylon too but can't tell without looking at it. I would keep it and make something out of it for sure.
Paul

These days, so many products are made of non metallic materials, of course everyone should learn the tricks to machining them. I personally enjoy some of them.

Clyde,

We have a plastics retailer in town that carries methylene chloride in 60 ml and 250 ml containers. I always keep some on hand. I would think that anyone who specializes in plastics should carry it.

Mike

Back