Do You Use a 3 Jaw or a 4 Jaw Chuck?

I use both and have both for both of my lathes, 10x24 lathes, and have both 6 and 8 inch chucks in both 3 and 4 jaw. Often depends of what I am doing and what will hold it best. But I have had no formal training just what I learned in HS many years ago and what I learned here. So I do what I can and learn from my mistakes.

I understand your concern. But personally, I do not have that problem AT ALL. I use Buck chucks daily and have been for many decades. They are just as good as the first day I bought them new. I take them apart clean and grease about every 6 months. I NEVER wrench down on stubby parts barely in the end of jaws, that will spring your jaws. I always clean the material before I chuck it. I can go on, but I think you get the idea. I try and take care of my chucks and that goes for everything in my toy house. I firmly believe the chucks I own will outlive me. Giving outstanding accuracy all along. I do own full sets of Hardinge 5C collets and lathe chucks to hold them. But because my Buck set-tru chucks are so nice and accurate the collects collect dust (very thick dust!). And I’m not affiliated with Buck & Company in any way…Dave...Happy Father's Day
You have a different set up over normal hobby machinist, most can't afford buck chucks . And if they do find a used one we all know why there selling them. I'm not knocking buck quality or your using them . I'm trying to be objective in just saying the best reason for four jaw chucks. I personally use a six jaw I got used many years ago from cooks tool . He sold me the chuck but only the inside jaws , looking around his showroom I found the outside set which he tried to get more money for till I should him they were for my six jaw. I have 5C collets but need to mount the lever and adjust the tube to fit my logan . My three jaw is really old and shot for close tolerance work. My four jaw is old but in great condition.

I personally like the 4 jaw chuck for reversing work and re-chucking. But I am also making tiny stuff with thou or less tolerance (hobby: tiny steam engines. Work: carburetor needles and the like). I just find the 4 jaw let's me make these tolerances quickly. From reading the thread, that seems to be the message. If you need tight tolerances, use a 4 jaw or a collet. If not, the 3 jaw is great. It all depends on what you need, want, and desire.

And I desire to make close tolerances because it gives me a tingle up the leg...

Tom

I do have a 3-jaw but a certain video making personality with a lot of torque has convinced me to use the 4-jaw.

Here is another reason why.

20180501_003333.jpg

Edit: OMG .... just noticed that this is a SB part of the forum.... Hopefully You can tolerate this blasphemy as that is a cheeap import lather being as far from SB as can be.

I don’t even have a 3 jaw. Study the two chuck key method, then make an indicator holder for your QCTP, so it is always right on center and you don’t have to mess with a mag base. It is less than a minute (as previously noted) to whatever accuracy you want.

I haven't used a 3 or 4 jaw in decades. My big lathes have 6 jaw adjust tru chucks, my small lathe has 5 C collets. I have on occasion removed jaws to accommodate odd work pieces, other than that, the chucks have never been removed from the spindle in 20 years. On projects that most guys would mount in a 4 jaw, I usually figure out how to do it on a mill.

I have a pretty accurate 3 jaw chuck (Chinese) that came with the lathe , SB 13 single. I bought a 4 jaw Cushman, that is also in great shape. The 3 jaw is so simple to use and I have never mounted the 4 jaw yet.
Just wondering, should I mount the 4 jaw and learn how to use it or continue with the 3 until I have a rectangle or something that I can only use the 4 jaw?
Just wondering what you do.

Yes mount the 4 jaw and learn to use it. Get to the point where you don't hesitate to change the chuck so you can use the best one for the job at hand.
In my case the 8'' 4 jaw is heavy and a chore to handle delicately enough for the D1-4 spindle. I dreaded having to install or remove it until I cobbled up a small overhead winch. The 4 jaw stays on the winch above and to the back of the lathe when not in use. The 6'' scroll chuck is light enough for me to lift on and off the lathe by hand.

I am embarrassed to say I have learned enough recently to discover my 3 jaw chuck is a set true type. It has the 4 adjusting screws.
I was able to adjust the run out in a chucked piece of 2" aluminum to less than .001".
As I was adjusting the set screws I also discovered they work the opposite of a 4 jaw, meaning when I was moving in, I was actually moving out.
You know what I mean.
With the ease of set-up, the 3 jaw is my go to but I have become proficient with the 4 jaw.
Thank you all for the encouragement and wisdom, as always.
Jeff

I am embarrassed to say I have learned enough recently to discover my 3 jaw chuck is a set true type. It has the 4 adjusting screws.
Jeff

Congratulations! That's quite a discovery, the value of that chuck just tripled.

The same thing happened to me. Although I knew what an Adjust-Tru chuck was, it took me a couple of weeks to realize I had one. Happy day.

Back